Amidst the other notable campus developments 2015 has revealed thus far, one has managed to fly under the radar. While news of Ian Young’s pending resignation and plans to redesign Union Court have caught the community’s attention, one development appears relatively unheard of.

So what is this new addition to campus? A functional ATM for NAB users? A new bar where jug prices don’t level the cost of an off-peak gym membership? As preferable as the latter option would be, the reality is, in fact, chairs.

Bright green ones at that, whose angular features and swivelling capacity has led some to christen them “Dalek chairs”. These chairs have been installed in in Tutorial Room 1 of the CBE Building (26C) and Tutorial Room 1 in the HW Arndt Building. Their handy design, supposedly reminiscent of the terrifying and hilarious Doctor Who villains, features a laptop-sized swing-out desk, a shelf underneath the seat for textbook storage and a hook to hang bags.

According to the College of Business and Economics (CBE),  “the new tutorial room chairs are part of a College-wide spruce up that will be taking place over the coming weeks”. Pat Boling, CBE General Manager said “the idea behind these chairs is to make our tutorial spaces more interactive and to better facilitate group work and collaboration’”

Students and tutors will be asked for feedback on this futuristic furniture in the coming weeks, while rumors of Tardis sightings in the Hancock basement continue to swirl.