Lachlan McDermott, Social Officer-elect of ANUSA 2014, has resigned.

McDermott was elected uncontested as a member of the ticket Bounce! and was due to begin his role on December 1.

Although McDermott was unable to comment at this point in time, a statement from Cameron Wilson, ANUSA President-elect 2014, explains that: “ANUSA 2014 Social Officer-elect Lachlan McDermott has resigned from his position due to personal reasons…

“We’re currently looking into the process of appointing the Social Officer and will inform the wider student body as soon as we can.”

Considering that McDermott’s term as Social Officer had not yet begun, the replacement process for an officer-elect is slightly ambiguous in the ANUSA Constitution. 2013 General Secretary Sophia Stanley stated that “ANUSA 2014 is currently investigating how, in the case of a resignation, the replacement of an officer-elect would take place.

“We acknowledge that the resignation of an officer-elect is currently a grey area in the ANUSA Constitution which is why we are working with the ANUSA Legal Officer and ACT Elections to ensure that a proper course is followed.”

As of Tuesday 15th, the most likely course of action would be for the position of 2014 ANUSA Social Officer to be considered a casual vacacny. An election would be held at the next Student Representative Council (SRC) meeting scheduled for 6pm Tuesday October 29 in the ANUSA Boardroom, at which all undergraduate students of the ANU may nominate for the position.

As it stands only members of the SRC are entitled to vote in elections held during SRC meetings.

However, according to General Secretary Sophia Stanley, if this replacement process does in fact take place, “a motion will be put forth asking members of the SRC to extend voting powers to include all present [ANU undergraduate students].

“This is in the interest of fairness and democracy as the newly elected ANUSA 2014 and other undergraduate students should have the opportunity to appoint a new Social Officer.”

Students will be notified as soon as an official replacement process has been confirmed.

Cameron Wilson expressed gratitude to the current ANUSA for organising a swift election process and also stated that “at this point in time, the ANUSA 2014 group isn’t endorsing any candidates.”

Students interested in nominating for Social Officer 2014 should contact the ANUSA General Secretary at sa.gensec@anu.edu.au.