The first COVID-19 case within the ANU community since the start of this lockdown was announced Saturday night. A student living at Warrumbul Lodge has tested positive to COVID-19.

Fortunately, the student has been self-isolating since the start of the Canberra lockdown and has not been infectious in the community. There is only one close contact of the case, who the ANU confirmed is “also isolating in a self-contained apartment.” The University also confirmed that the close contact “has been tested and is awaiting their result”. 

As a result, a University Spokesperson confirmed that “there are no exposure sites from this case at the Lodge or at other sites across ANU”, however ACT Health will “continue to investigate for any additional close contacts for this case”. The Spokesperson stated that if they are identified, these close contacts will go into isolation in a self-contained apartment and undergo testing. 

Additionally, the ANU, informed by ACT Health, clarified that “there is no need for the rest of Warrumbul Lodge to go into quarantine at this point in time”, and that the “residence can remain under stay at home orders”. This is in line with the ‘Alert Orange’ – ‘High Risk’ status across campus, meaning that students can leave their rooms for all essential reasons and can continue to interact with member(s) of their bubble, as outlined in this guide.

The University reassured that “there is no reason for any resident at the Lodge or in other residences to get tested unless they are advised to by ACT Health or if they start to display any COVID symptoms”.

ANU Vice-Chancellor Brian Schmidt sent out an email to staff and students last night, where he explained that “this is only the second case of COVID-19 in our community since the pandemic began in early 2020”. Schmidt warned that he does “not intend to announce every case we have in our community going forward. We will contact all those who are directly affected”. In addition, the Vice-Chancellor urged that everyone else stay up-to-date on a dedicated web page.