Oliver Hervir, former Treasurer of Wright Hall in 2020, is launching his candidacy for the role of Joint Colleges of Science (JCOS) Representative in the upcoming 2021 ANU Students’ Association Election. Oliver will be running as an independent since he believes that it allows him flexibility in choosing policy priorities and that it will allow for easier scrutiny of other ANUSA members without being beholden to “higher powers.”

Oliver has planned to implement an extensive policy agenda which includes:

• Creating a weekly newsletter and website that collates relevant information about academic advice from staff, such as advice for degree changes and degree planning, and information about clubs, such as what clubs are on offer and a detailed event schedule for students. 
  • Revitalising and standardising the selection and experience of course representatives in order to increase their effectiveness through standardised communication of expectations and a vertical mentoring program aimed at connecting current with previous course representatives. 
  • Providing academic skills and science specific program training for all science students and creating a common resource register containing valuable information about science related scholarships, postgraduate study opportunities, volunteering, mentorship programs, research and industry jobs and short courses.
  • Working with other college representatives to organise interdisciplinary social, educational and networking events such as an “interdisciplinary hackathon focussing on finding solutions to the big issues of our generation.”

A full and detailed description of Oliver’s proposed policies can be found here.

While progressive on a personal level, Oliver will bring an apolitical stance to the role stating that “I am not aligned with any on-campus or off-campus political parties, and don’t believe that politics has a place in the College rep roles.”