Is it true that all Bruce and Wright residents come from Sydney? Is Burton and Garran the most popular hall on campus? Where do all the townies live if not at home?

Woroni can now provide a breakdown of how many people have applied for which Hall, and which states they came from.

10,858 students applied to live on campus this year, but the ANU only offers around 6,000 places. Overcoming its reputation of having a lack of established culture, Yukeembruuk Village had the most applications of any hall, with 2,026 applicants. Burton and Garran Hall came in second at 1,103 applicants and Lena Karmel Lodge – despite the asocial reputation of UniLodge – placed third with 1,048 applicants.

However, each Hall houses a different number of residents. Yukeembruuk may have the most applications, but it also has the most beds of the ANU-run Halls, with 700 available rooms.

Yet, when we look at competitiveness, or the applications to beds ratio, the rankings remain virtually the same. Yukembruuk still wins with 2.8 applicants per bed, followed by Burton and Garran and Lena Karmel once again.

The reputation for the more expensive Halls having a higher NSW and Victorian population does hold up. Just under 51% of applicants to Bruce Hall were from NSW, followed by Victoria, which contributed 15% of applicants. However, Wright Hall had the most applicants from NSW at 449 out of 761, or 59%. Both Bruce and Wright Hall are some of the most expensive halls on campus, and with NSW being one of the richer Australian states the correlation makes sense. However, NSW tended to dominate across the board, contributing 4221 overall applicants, followed by 3380 overseas applications. This is likely because NSW is the closest state to the ACT, as well as the largest in Australia.

Interestingly, Graduate House had the highest number of ACT residents, at 161 out of 218  (73%). But, this probably reflects the fact that most postgraduates will have changed their address to the ACT. Hence, Yukeembruuk and Burton and Garran Hall had the most “townie” applications, at 182 and 108 respectively.

The Northern Territory had the fewest accommodation applications, at just 50 out of 10,123.

This likely reflects the relatively high cost of ANU accommodation, which presents a barrier to low-income students, and that the Territory is the smallest of the states and territories. First Nations students are also statistically more likely to be low-income, and the Northern Territory has the highest First Nations proportion of any Australian jurisdiction.

The UniLodge Halls tend to have a higher number of postgraduate applications. This likely reflects the quieter culture, and the self-contained nature of the UniLodge apartments.

Undergraduates understandably dominate the applications, with 4,334 of the 10,123 total applications, followed by the 3,769 students with “No Information.”

With Yukembruuk’s culture now developing, it remains to be seen if it will continue to be the most sought after Hall on campus. Or will students turn their backs, and elect Burton and Garran or Lena Karmel the most popular Halls of ANU?

Editor’s Note: This does not include Burgmann or John XXIII Colleges as they are privately-owned. The ANU could not provide statistics on their occupants. The category “Overseas/No Information” was how the data was provided to Woroni by the ANU, Woroni does not know the composition of the category unfortunately.