Neo-Nazi Images Circulated Around Campus

CW: This piece contains explicit mentions of Racism, Nazism and White Supremacy.

Image by Matt Goh.

A student this morning shared images online of neo-Nazi material placed on multiple highly-visible signs and surfaces across the ANU campus. The pictures depicted neo-Nazi stickers placed on a large ANU entrance sign. The post warned students to take precaution when removing the material because in the past similar material has concealed hazards like razor blades in an attempt to injure those trying to remove the material. 

It is unclear if the ANU is aware of these materials being displayed on campus. The ANU BIPOC Department Officer Chido Chemoyo released a statement on Facebook saying the material released “on schmidtposting, is very scary”. Chemoyo stated that “If you are BIPOC and want any support our Department is here for you. I love you all and acknowledge the absolutely horrible adversity we face attending our institution as BIPOC. Your feelings are valid, your experiences are real and you matter.” She ended her statement by claiming “Hatred and bigotry will not win.”

A spokesperson for the ANU stated “Racism is abhorrent. This is not the value of ANU or our community and it won’t be tolerated. The University has been made aware of these stickers and is taking appropriate action. If any member of our community is found to be behaving in such an inappropriate way, they will face consequences. If anyone on our campus sees these stickers, we urge them to tell ANU security who will remove them.”

If you, or anyone you know has been affected by this piece or the events that have occurred, please reach out to one of the support services below.

ANU Crisis Line
1300 050 327

ANU Crisis SMS
0488 884 170

ANU Counselling
6125 2442

ANU BIPOC Department
sa.ethnocultural@anu.edu.au

Australasian Union of Jewish Students/ANU Jewish Students Society
anugroup@aujs.com.au

Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT)
6205 1065

Lifeline
13 11 44