On Saturday, September 6, South Oval set the stage for the inaugural ISO versus ADFA sports day, aimed at raising awareness for mental health charity, Batyr.

Not unlike the fiercely competitive games of tunnel ball and tug-of-war at school sports carnivals, the event showcased heroic performances from the best players from both sides. While supporters were somewhat lacking at the girls’ AFL, the emerging sunshine brought out a sway of predominantly ISO spectators to cheer on the boys.

The girls’ AFL game saw ADFA gain a comprehensive 28 to 14 victory, prompting casual banter about cunnilingus from the ADFA boys, while ISO’s luck remained unimproved with a 53 to 33 loss. Following a friendly sausage sizzle, greatly abetted by ADFA’s ability to handle meat, the athletes and onlookers headed to the sports hall for netball which saw ISO finally secure a win with the girls scoring 33 to 6, only to narrowly lose the mixed game 24 to 17.

The day was capped off with an after party at the Mecure, at which all attendees reportedly conducted themselves with the utmost modesty and grace. Jessica Hampton, captain of ADFA’s touch team, encapsulated the feelings of many attendees when telling Woroni; “We’re really glad it got up off the ground; it was great to mingle with ANU people. Let’s hope it goes ahead next year.”

Several ISO representatives affirmed Hampton’s points, perhaps because a rematch would allow ANU the chance to recover some of its damaged sporting pride, but largely due to the great opportunity the event provides to raise awareness and make connections between two eminent Canberran institutions.