With unprecedented flooding across Queensland and northern New South Wales in recent weeks, many people have lost their homes, cannot work or have experienced major disruption to their lives and livelihoods. ANU students hail from all across Australia, including these flood-impacted areas. 

There are many support options available to students who have been impacted by these flooding events, in the form of emergency bursaries, emergency accommodation and food services run by the university, ANUSA and PARSA.  

Woroni has collated information on these support options below, including eligibility requirements and contact details of relevant organisations.

Bursaries and Financial Support

The ANU Scholarships Office offers an Emergency Undergraduate Accommodation Bursary for undergraduate ANU students currently facing unexpected financial hardship. 

To receive this bursary, students must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program, not be in receipt of a substantial scholarship or financial bursary from any other source over $5,000 (excluding the ANU Access Scholarship). 

Additionally, they must be able to demonstrate “substantial financial hardship” and “a change of circumstances resulting in the hardship.” For more details, contact rcc@anu.edu.au.

ANUSA offers an emergency one-time grant of up to $750 for undergraduate and ANU College students experiencing financial hardship. Similarly, this grant requires demonstration of hardship. 

The ANUSA Treasurer has noted that some students have already claimed this grant for flood assistance. For more information, contact sa.assistance@anu.edu.au.

PARSA offers a similar non-repayable emergency grant of up to $1500 for enrolled postgraduate students who are facing financial hardship. PARSA also requires proof of immediate need and an application to be submitted within two months of the unexpected circumstance. For further details, contact parsa@anu.edu.au.

Emergency Accommodation Assistance

ANUSA offers emergency accommodation assistance for up to seven nights at a Canberra backpacker’s style accommodation (similar to the YHA). This assistance is for students “…experiencing an emergency that has resulted in having difficulties securing accommodation.” Contact sa.assistance@anu.edu.au to apply. PARSA offers an identical program for postgraduate students, with applicants to contact parsa.grants@anu.edu.au.

Food and Grocery Services

ANUSA offers a range of food and grocery services for students. This includes:

BKSS offers free breakfast Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 10:30 am

Grocery vouchers of up to $100 a semester are offered to eligible students

Free lunches are offered at the Food Co-Op on a short-term basis

The ANUSA Mutual Aid pantry is open 8am – 8pm every weekday

This article seeks to be a guide for students at ANU seeking support within the University only, not within outside organisations.