ANUSA ticket launches continue with the announcement of ‘Refocus Your ANUSA’. 

Refocus is led by 2020 CASS Representative James Eveille, who is running for President. Alongside Eveille, Louis Gordon, a current General Representative is running for Treasurer and Sophie Macdonald is running for Education Officer. Speaking on his vision for leadership, Eveille argues that “ANUSA needs strong and determined leadership to prepare it for cuts, attacks and uncertainty across the higher education sector.” 

Policy wise, Refocus is running on a platform of “dedication to student advocacy, a commitment to providing essential services for students, a vision for the best educational experience in the country, and a preparedness for the challenges of a post-COVID university sector.”

In response to Woroni, Eveille expanded upon Refocus’ structure and policy aims. Speaking on the limited executive in the ticket, Eveille explains: 

‘Refocus your ANUSA’ has decided to not run a full ticket for a few reasons. Firstly, over the past few years it has become quite clear that a robust and diverse SRC is imperative and by not running a full ticket we will ensure that this continues into 2021…. Secondly, we’ve decided to contest positions which will have the most pivotal roles going into 2021. In terms of our executive candidates, we are running the three positions which we feel require a real change in perspective heading into 2021. 

Eveille further explains that while Refocus “is made up of both factional and independent candidates,” Refocus’ “NUS candidates will sit with Student Unity at National Conference.” However, Eveille expresses that ‘good ideas and leadership’ will be prioritised over political factions. 

Eveille’s addresses Refocus’ commitment to Unity, arguing that “Student Unity-led student unions have been at the forefront of leading the student unionist response to COVID-19 and that is something ANUSA desperately needs.”

The ticket is as follows:

Executive

President: James Eveille

Treasurer: Louis Gordon

Education Officer: Sophie Macdonald

General Representatives 

Marlow Meares

Dorothee Steinbach

Alex Matters

Dri Sinhababu

Bianca Barras-Borzatti

Phillip Kim 

College of Business and Economics

Ella Hickey and Tom Gilbert

College of Arts and Social Sciences

Benjamin Capovilla 

College of Law

Tim Smith

College of Asia and the Pacific

Meg Billson

NUS Delegates

James Eveille

Sophie Macdonald

Marlow Meares

Alex Matters

Dorothee Steinbach