Maruku@ANU offers a lot to get excited about; non-exploitative high quality aboriginal art; the opportunity for a hands on art-making experience, and the Professor Brian Schmidt AO. In its second year, the exhibition is solely run and curated by ANU students with the support of the indigenous-run Maruku Arts organisation from the Mutijulu community near Uluru, who have worked in close collaboration to bring an exciting collection to Canberra. The initiative not only brings a spectacular and diverse range of desert art to the ANU, but supports the artists, with all proceeds going to Maruku which supports over 800 artists and their families from the Anangu region. The opportunities presented to artists, both in terms of travelling the country, as well as income and sharing their stories, are really why it’s so important.

The ANU Art School is playing host to the initiative, with launch night on the 4th of March expecting Brian Schmidt to deliver a welcomed introduction to the beginning of the exhibition. Wood burning (Punu) and dot painting workshops will also be on offer over the opening weekend, as well as the ability to purchase affordable pieces of art in the collection. It is definitely also worth mentioning that there will be complimentary food and drinks on opening night. Maruku@ANU is an event that has developed to truly showcase and support stimulating desert art and the communities who produce it, and will continue to with this support into the future.

For all workshop bookings or enquiries please contact: maruku.anu@gmail.com