Words + Pictures is an initiative set up by myself and a very hardworking and enthusiastic lecturer from the Centre of Art History and Art Theory, Robert Wellington. As a student of Art Theory, I always found myself existing somewhere between the Art History students and the Fine Art students. To me, it seemed strange and almost wasteful that there wasn’t more collaboration and connection happening between the two streams of students.

A few years ago, Art History connected with the School of Art on an administrative level. To me this was a great step towards the vision, but I still didn’t feel that this connection had filtered down to the level of the students.

In an attempt to bridge this gap between the two streams of students we created the Words + Pictures CAHAT blog. The initial concept of the blog was that Art History students pair up with Fine Art students and the Fine Art student shares their work with their Art History partner who then writes an article responding to their work. These partnerships resulted in some fantastic pieces of work and some long lasting friendships between students who would otherwise taken much longer to connect, if at all. We now accept all kinds of articles from exhibition reviews to opinion pieces and everything in between.

The blog serves a double purpose to document the connections made across the School of Art and also to showcase the work of both groups of students to a wide audience. The blog has been running successfully for over six months now and has been received extremely positively by both students and staff. With this recent collaboration with Woroni, I’ve seen a huge surge in interest in writing and reading the blog as we branch out into the wider ANU community. Words + Pictures CAHAT blog is about connecting people and now that the School of Art is more in sync with itself, I feel it is the perfect time to connect with the wider ANU in a meaningful and exciting way.

If students want to contribute to Words + Pictures CAHAT Blog they can get in contact with me at shancrosbie72@gmail.com or simply check out the blog at: http://cahat.weblogs.anu.edu.au/.