It was business as usual at ANUSA’s latest Ordinary General Meeting last Wednesday, despite very low attendance. The executive reports were all presented and passed without any issues.

Both the President and Treasurer’s reports focused on the withholding of Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF) from ANUSA due to audited accounts having been submitted five months later than they should have, and the resulting Ernst & Young review of ANU student organisation finances commissioned by University executives. However at the General Meeting it was stated that there had been rumours ANUSA would receive their SSAF this week, but that ANUSA had also been fined $180,000 by the Australian Tax Office in relation to outstanding GST. 

Other points of interest raised include the current Senate Education and Employment Legislation Committee Inquiry into the Higher Education and Research Reform Amendment Bill. This was prior to ANUSA President Cam Wilson and the Education Officer, Laura Wey appearance at a Senate public hearing on Friday 10th October supporting ANUSA’s submission to the Inquiry. 

It was also announced at the General Meeting that applications are now open for O-Week Directors. 

The ANUSA executive was disappointed with the number of people who attended the Ordinary General Meeting and has encouraged those who should be attending meetings to do so to ensure that the association is running as effectively as it can. ANUSA’s next meeting will be the Special General Meeting on the 22 October 2014.