The Australian National University Union is set to have it’s Annual General Meeting this Thursday at 5pm at the ANU bar.

To hold an AGM during exam, rather than semester time, is also a questionable move coming from the ANU Union.

Chair of the ANU Union, Josh Orchard, told Woroni that the Union “had to hold an AGM before the end of the financial year to get the accounts all in order”. According to Orchard, the lack of advertising for the meeting is “something that went through the cracks that I am not particularly happy about.”

Section 37 Part 6 of the ANU Union Constitution states that:

Meetings may only be called on the giving of seven days notice. Notice is sufficiently given by the publication on at least three notice boards in the Union building of the date, time, and business of the particular meeting as well as the Union website, a widely distributed student newspaper at the time and any other relevant social media.

The ANU Union has posted details concerning the AGM on the notice boards in the union, yet the union failed to advertise the event via a widely distributed student newspaper, such as Woroni, the Union website or the relevant social media.

The ANU Union is the student run-body that operates a number of services and food outlets in the Union building and around the ANU Campus. Feel free to attend the AGM this thursday, 5pm, at the ANU bar. Free beer provided (one free beer per person).

Photography by Abigail Widijanto