A survey conducted by the University found that the majority of staff and students want other members of the University to be vaccinated. This survey was open for all students, academic and professional staff (including casuals) for a week from the 25th to 31st of January. During the opening of the survey, 6856 members of the university responded to it. 

The preference for others on campus to be fully vaccinated is consistent across everyone at the University, regardless of their role at the University, gender, and age. Overall, 83 percent of survey respondents either strongly agreed or agreed with the statement “I will feel more comfortable coming to work/campus [if] others are vaccinated.” 

Of surveyed students, 85 percent either strongly agreed or agreed with the statement “I will feel more comfortable coming to work/campus if others are vaccinated.”

Academic staff displayed a similar sentiment, with 84 percent of respondents strongly agreeing or agreeing with the statement above. Eighty-six percent of academic staff also strongly agreed or agreed with the statement “I would prefer that staff who attend campus are vaccinated,” and eighty-five percent strongly agree or agree that students on campus should be vaccinated.

Professional staff also had a favourable response to the statement “I will feel more comfortable coming to work/campus if others are vaccinated,” with 82 percent strongly agreeing or agreeing. 

Those who selected their roles as “other” or “prefer not to say” displayed the lowest support, at 69% of ‘others’ and 61% of ‘prefer not to say’ strongly agreeing or agreeing with the statement above. 

Speaking to Woroni, an ANU Spokesperson said that  “[t]here is no broader requirement to be vaccinated, but [the University] encourage[s] everyone to get vaccinated and boosted as soon they are eligible.” 

Additionally, the University has “sought [the] community’s views on vaccination as [they] consider the potential introduction of a requirement for everyone in the ANU community to be fully vaccinated – except for people with medical exemptions.”

Furthermore, “[t]his survey shows the overwhelming majority of [the] community supports vaccination.”