Following protests from SRs across ANU colleges after being asked to complete duties outside of their role requirements without PPE this weekend, the Director of Residential Experience Susan Helyar has invited further dialogue to “clarify their expectations as well as to reduce the ongoing demand on SRs for logistics support.

When asked for comment about the conditions SRs were facing at on-campus residential halls, an ANU Spokesperson told Woroni that in order to ensure residents were able to receive supplies during the rapidly evolving COVID situation, SRs were “asked to assist with deliveries in their residences.” They stated that the ANU is “extremely grateful to those SRs who provided immediate assistance and made sure that their fellow residents received these supplies,” and acknowledged the vital role SRs have in their residences. The Spokesperson thanked SRs for their hard work and support in helping look after residents under ‘Enhanced Stay-at-Home Orders’ and keeping the ANU community safe.

The spokesperson further stated that the Director of Residential Experience is also committed to hearing from SRs on an ongoing basis to “address any concerns they have and find mutually agreed solutions to their needs”. They stated that the ANU’s goal is to “reduce the impacts on their academic and other commitments and to not create additional burden for them.”