ANU Library has introduced a new laptop loaning system, allowing all ANU students to borrow laptops free of charge from Chifley Library.

Students are able to borrow one of five laptops, collecting and returning during staffed hours (9am-5pm) from Monday to Friday.

Students can loan the laptops out for up to two days, with the opportunity to extend the loan via the library’s online record, allowing students to access online resources or assignments where they otherwise may not have been able to.

To complete the loaning process, students must first check the availability of the laptops, using the ANU Library SuperSearch, after which a staff member at Chifley Library information desk will provide the borrowed computer. Students must have an ANU student card in order to access the service.

The borrowing initiative seeks to aid students who are unable to use or provide their own computers, ultimately aiming to mitigate the stress associated with computer failure, and make resources more accessible to all ANU students.

The limited number of laptops means that demand will likely be high during exam times.

The scheme is funded by the Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), which is paid by the student cohort for services outside of the academic field. This follows on from surveys in 2021 which showed student support for IT assistance and provision.