The ANU Library has announced that it will waive overdue library loan fines on ordinary collection materials until the end of exams (20th November 2021) in an effort to reduce stress on students. 

The Library explained that the late fee and loan return systems presented difficulties to students and that the pressure of fines affected the mental health of some students. As such, ordinary loan materials can be returned late without incurring any charges. If a particular piece of material is needed that is currently loaned to another student, the library will place a recall to ensure items can still be utilised by other students. Students will then have 10 days to return the item, but are encouraged to reach out to library staff if they experience any trouble meeting the timeframe.

Further, if students are unable to return books in person due to border restrictions or extenuating circumstances, they can contact the ANU library by email or phone to arrange for alternative delivery. If postal returns are required, the Library will arrange for the costs of postage to be reimbursed (by prior arrangement only). Fines will still apply on two-hour and two-day loan items, recalled items, and lost/destroyed items.