The ANU Global Programs have opened applications for exchange programs to New Zealand in Semester 2 this year. This would be the first opportunity for ANU students to go on exchange, since the recall of all students from Semester 1, 2020 exchange programs due to the global spread of COVID-19. The re-commencement of ANU Global Programs comes after the opening of the Trans-Tasman bubble – allowing quarantine-free travel from Australia to New Zealand.

To lodge an application, students must apply through the Terradotta system. Global Programs is running an in-person information session next Wednesday ahead of the closure of applications next Friday the 14th of May, 2021. 

The ANU currently has two exchange partner institutions in New Zealand, the University of Auckland and the Victoria University of Wellington, both of which will be accepting ANU students next semester. 

In previous years, New Zealand has been one of the less popular exchange locations compared to European and Asian universities. The ANU explained that four students went to New Zealand on exchange in 2019 and 2020, “two in each year.” Meanwhile, the ANU has been a “popular destination for NZ students” according to a University spokesperson. It is likely that as the only possible location for exchange, New Zealand will become a popular destination this year.

This decision comes as the University of Melbourne announced its own re-commencement of exchanges to New Zealand from Semester 2, 2021, with places open to increased numbers, of up to 150 students.