Representatives from Ursula, Burton & Garran and Bruce Halls were invited to the World’s Greatest Shave Top Fundraisers Awards on Friday, 21 July, where they were recognised for their outstanding efforts in hosting the fundraiser this year.

The four organisers of the event, Holly Halford-Smith (B&G), Marcus Alim (B&G), Mina Kim (Bruce), and Nila Norbu (Ursula), represented their respective colleges at the Top Fundraisers Awards at the John James Village in Garran.

The ANU Halls held the event in April at the new Bruce Quad. Approximately 60 participants volunteered to either shave their heads, wax their hair, shave their beards or colour their hair. There was also live music, a bake sale and raffle ticket prizes to be won.

In the past, colleges have organised their own fundraisers. This was the first year the colleges decided to combine their events. Halford-Smith said that it would ‘be fantastic to keep this going and to have inter-college fundraisers continue.’

‘I’d like to hope this event has really set the standard and paved the way for that. It’s a great way to foster intercollegiate bonds and to support worthwhile causes at the same time,’ she said.

The Halls raised more than $15,000, earning them fifth place for the World’s Greatest Shave in the ACT. Bruce Hall alone contributed more than $9,000 to the overall sum. The ACT collectively raised $521,000, the most that has been raised in two decades.

The money will go to the Leukemia Foundation, which operates without government support.

‘The money raised not only goes towards funding vital research on the various types of blood cancer and how to improve people’s quality of life, but it also provides emotional and practical support to families undergoing treatment,’ Halford-Smith said.

Halford-Smith thanked the volunteers, participants and sponsors that made the event possible.

‘From the bakers, to the photographers, to the raffle ticket hustlers, to the behind the scene organisers, everyone did amazing and it really goes to show what can be done when we all come together as one,’ she told Woroni.

People can donate at: http://www.leukaemia.org.au/how-to-help/give-a-donation.