They say grief manifests itself in odd ways, and that’s certainly true for ANU student Gabrielle Meiklejohn (she/her). Immediately following news of Brian Schmidt’s resignation as Vice-Chancellor of the ANU, she started a petition to rename the chicken schnitzel at student and APS hangout, Badger and Co, to a Schmitty Schnitty.

Meiklejohn explained that Badger and Schmidt go hand in hand, both being “…a legendary icon of our university.” To honour the memory of the Nobel laureate astronomer who will depart at the end of this year, Meiklejohn has called on the student body to do what it does best: sign a petition. She describes it all as bringing “…a smile to the faces of all those who seek a good feed.”

The change, Meiklejohn argues, will help immortalise a man “…who oversaw significant developments and achievements at the ANU, and who perfected several popular TikTok dances in his 2022 end of year video message.”

Apparently Badger and Co has been contacted, however Woroni has yet to receive their response.

In a bold attempt to swing University administration behind the proposal, Meiklejohn argues that because Badger and Co is in the Health and Wellbeing Building, renaming the schnitzel “…would be a brilliant way to support the mental wellbeing of students.”

Stay tuned for Woroni’s editorial on why the Law Library should be renamed to the “Slay Girlboss Julie Preventing Asbestos Compensation Library.”