22 Fenner Hall residents have been informed that they will be forced to relocate from the on-campus accommodation for the remainder of 2019. It has been revealed that one of the building’s water valves has left a number of Fenner’s floors and rooms damaged.

An ANU spokesperson outlined that “after recent water damage to floors in Fenner Hall, ANU arranged a check on the environmental conditions of several rooms,” and that “these checks have been taking place over the last 10 days.”  

It was determined that 22 rooms did not pass the testing and that they “will need to be left to dry for a few weeks.” An ANU spokesperson further highlighting that “work to restore affected rooms will take place over the summer break so it causes the least disruption to residents and so rooms are ready for 2020.”

The affected students will be forced to vacate and find new accommodation. However, the ANU is “working with affected students on a range of alternative accommodation options.” These include the releasing of contracts at the discretion of the students. 

Former residents wishing to remain in ANU accommodation will be “offered alternative accommodation on campus, as well as Gowrie Hall.”

All impacted residents will maintain access to the facilities at Fenner so that they can “remain part of the Fenner community,” an ANU spokesperson described. 

The relevant students were informed about their relocation via email and through face to face consultation with the ANU.

The University further detailed that “Fenner Hall staff are working with students to ensure their relocation is a smooth as possible and causes minimal disruption.” Further outlining that the  “ANU will also cover the rent differential for affected students, as well as any reasonable costs associated with their move.”  

Nick Richardson was a resident at Fenner Hall in 2016 & 2017