Join our News Team in 2018!

Woroni is looking for some fresh news reporters to become part of our passionate print team at ANU Student Media in 2018.

News reporters work with the News Editor and the ANUSM management team to cover all aspects of student life at the ANU.

They write stories that help students understand what’s happening on their campus. They will write a range of stories, including well-researched investigations into key university issues, quick breaking stories on current events, and explainers that cover complex topics.

News reporters will work as part of a large team, and will be required to attend weekly meetings. They will need to communicate with stakeholders across the university – including students and staff – and with other members of the Woroni team.

The expectations for this position are flexible, but at a minimum news reporters will be expected to write one to two articles per week, and complete one in-depth investigation throughout the year. All news reporters will be provided with ample training before O-Week and ongoing training and guidance throughout the semester.

You do not need to have any prior writing experience to apply for this position. Ideal candidates will be approachable, a team player, a good communicator and a critical thinker. You should be willing to learn about news reporting and be passionate about university life.

Please note that this is an application for general news reporter positions. Once the team is assembled, some reporters will be delegated specialised portfolios. This means that you may become a television news reporters, or be responsible to a key area that covers one specific part of student life such as ‘student politics’, ‘research’, or ‘residential colleges’.

News Reporters will be recruited for the duration of the semester and will be expected to start as soon as they accept their role. This will also require some work over the holiday period. News Reporters can expect to receive an honorarium based on their commitment to the role at the end of Semester One.

Applications will close at 11.59pm on 4 March 2018.
Interviews will be conducted in the days following.

Woroni is committed to diversity in hiring. It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the ANU community so that we can better tell stories about everyone at the ANU. As such, Woroni welcomes applications from students that are from a range of diverse backgrounds and identities. If you identify with a diverse background, feel free to let us know in your application.