Despite a not-so-positive weather outlook at the beginning of the week, ANUSA’s 90’s themed Bush Week ended with a bang rather than a drizzle with their traditional Friday Night Party, Party Like It’s 1999, with students flocking to the myriad of marquees set up in Union Court despite the rain.

With an increase of available tickets boosted from 300 to 500, the event sold out before doors opened, something the Bush Week Directors labeled a ‘great success’.

“We had a stellar week – it was a huge success… and finishing with a 500 person party right in the heart of Union Court was perfect,” the Bush Week Director Team said.

With the solid backing of enthusiastic volunteers, the event had a student run bar, with all proceeds going back to students. However, the food on offer, including the traditional sausage sizzle and steaks, as well as vegetarian options, was an issue for some students. ANU student Anna Macdonald expressed that the “tomato sauce was self-service from a bowl with a spoon in it, which is possibly the worst culinary idea since John’s white chocolate veloute in Masterchef.”

The music was one of the highlights of the night, with the last DJ definitely pumping up the crowd. Friday Night Party Director, Tom Lonsdale, said that one of the high points of the night was definitely Ruben Engel, or Dead DJ Joke: “Everyone loved him – Lion King remix and the Riders on the Storm v Sandstorm remix was out of this decade!

By the end of the night, all the revellers had lived out their childhood nostalgia, dressed in double denim and plastic chokers, with the party being a success despite the rain. The Bush Week team said that they had “only heard good things from attendees, which is what we’re about”, with this message being backed up by ANU student Jeremy:

“I partied like it was 1999 for hours, then I realised I was 22, so I went home.”