Eid Al-Fitr, the festival that brings together different Muslim cultures around the world, also
brought together the different Muslim societies of the ANU on Sunday, as they turned Union
Court into a gathering place of celebration.

Eid Al-Fitr is the largest celebration of the Muslim calendar, marking the end of the fasting
and holy month of Ramadan. It is a celebration that is foremost about sharing, and it was a
passion to share the Muslim culture with the rest of the ANU community that brought this
event to life.

Interestingly, rather than being organised by one ANU society, the organisation
committee of the event was made up of a small group of students from a variety of cultural
backgrounds, who then brought together different societies of the university to participate
in the event.

The lead organiser, Intifar Chowdhury, launched the project knowing she wouldn’t be going
home for Eid this winter. She said that she wanted all her friends to celebrate Eid with her, as
“Eid brings happiness and ANU deserves to be a part of this joyous gathering. Taking
this fact in mind, my friends and I decided to let ANU experience the most important
festival for Muslims.”

Chowdhury explained how Eid is entangled within many different cultures all around
the world, and each country celebrates it differently, “each adding in a unique touch
of their own culture,” she said.

This is what the event aimed to achieve, and on the day a wide range of ANU
societies came together, including the Malaysian, Pakistani, Singapore and
Indonesian Students’ Associations, and the OZ1001 Students’ Integration Program of
UniLodge.

The white marquee in Union Court oozed the aromas of different cuisines, and inside
stalls boasted traditional sweets, free henna and the opportunity to have your name
written in Arabic Calligraphy.

Chowdhury said the event was important not just for Muslim students of the ANU, but
also for other students to have the opportunity to learn and partake in the biggest
festivity in Muslim culture.

Photo Credit: Nic Bills