Cancer Council ACT will soon be hosting its much anticipated Relay for Life event on the 13th and 15th of April. The event is held to raise funds for the Council’s research, prevention and support services. 

The event started when the Victorian community of Murrumbeena raised over $75,000 in 1999. Soon after, relays have become an annual event, held in most Australian states and territories. The relays have over 134,000 participants and raise over $14 million each year. 

A spokesperson for Cancer Council told Woroni, “Relay is a chance for the Canberran community to recognise and celebrate local cancer survivors, those going through a cancer experience and their carers, to honour and remember loved ones lost to raise money to help save more lives.” 

In Canberra, there are currently 43 teams and 273 relayers. 

At the ANU, Griffin Hall is a returning participant this year. The spokesperson expressed,  “[the hall] will be returning to the track in the hope to beat their 2023 records!” So far, Griffin hall has reached $1,699 of its $3,000 fundraising goal. 

On the day, there will be an opening ceremony followed by the survivors and carers opening lap, a candlelight ceremony and finally a closing ceremony. Alongside the relay, there will also be entertainment including live music, competitions and kids activities. The event will be held on the AIS track. 

For more information click here