

# WORONI

Meeting:			
Meeting Venue:	Office & Discord		
Meeting Opened:	6:05pm		
Meeting Closed:	8:19pm		
Present:	Rose Dixon-Campbell, Matthew Box, Jasmin Small, Virginia Plas, George Hogg (late, at 6:10pm), Lizzie Fewster		
Minutes:	Jasmin Small, Alex Lane		
Apologies:			
No.	Item	Action Items	
1	Acknowledgement of Country	Delivered by Alex	
2	Previous action items	<p>Matthew to buy chairs</p> <p>Jasmin to email Ilija re print options</p> <p>Team wall: progressing well - I have come up with an organisation that will fit every team onto the felt board in a way that is also informative of the structures we have. If I get the editor's pics and maybe all your seniors right now I can lay it out and then it should be simply for people to fill it in as their sub-editors send through photos. So please do that!</p> <p>Board intro post: I will start making templates and co-ordinating</p>	

		<p>photographers. I will aim to get them in to take pics at next board meeting.</p> <p>DEIC hiring: Matthew made the form and the website page and I created the graphic and posted it. I have since reached out to the LSS, ILS and IAC to see if they will repost it. IAC say they will in like a week (why??? idk) and ILS and LSS are yet to get back to me. Anyone have any ideas for other clubs/societies? The law school has a newsletter so I might see if they can share it.</p> <p>Virginia: We should also reach out to LitSoc.</p> <p>Alex: We should also reach out to Bossy.</p> <p>George arrived 6:10pm</p>	
--	--	--	--

**Standing Items**

3	Minutes Approvals	<p>Motion to approve the minutes from 16 February.</p> <p>For: 6</p> <p>Against:0</p> <p>Abstain: 1 (Lizzie not present)</p> <p>Status:Passes</p>	Matthew needs to return the partition (still)
4	Approvals	<p>Online CAD</p> <p>Rose EAD</p> <p>George: I might be sending a very small RAD this weekend for some returning shows who missed it.</p>	

5	Finance Update	<p><b>Business Transaction Account:</b> \$31,220.50</p> <p><b>Business Online Saver:</b> \$151,711.44</p> <p><b>Term Deposit:</b> \$60,000</p> <p>Matthew: The recent expenditure has obviously been Editor honoraria and the chair purchases. I'm waiting on Brann's office to send back the counter-signed agreement, which is our funding agreement.</p> <p>Alex: Care to give an update on how we are going to be doing the Editor Honoraria regarding Saad?</p> <p>Matthew: Will have to think more then will be put to the board.</p>	
6	Management Update	<p>Social media: Bri has been coming into the office a lot lately which is good. Still trying to coordinate formal meetings. I have flagged a few projects with her and she is working on them now. I will get her to help me with promo for the Woroni picnic (though this will be mostly internal) and soon I'll set her on a SEO project.</p> <p>Photography: Hired Hima and Ben. Trying to coordinate a management team meeting. We are yet to meet yet which makes things feel a little disorienting but I'm hoping to rectify that swiftly. Have commissioned them to work on Alex's bathroom piece. I'll get Oskah, Chris and Ben to go out and take some photos and Hima will put them together in a cool edit at the end.</p> <p>Rose: Thank you Virginia for letting me have Hima, and George for Ben.</p>	

		<p>Events: Promoted Jeffrey to SEO - he has some great ideas for projects. I am organising an events team meeting this Sunday to talk future events and longer-term planning and will talk to Jeffrey about his projects before or after this meeting.</p> <p>Website: Nothing to update</p> <p>Alex: When do we see drafts of the website?</p> <p>Rose: The way it works with talking to the website people is its a bunch of email approvals. I have approved everything they've asked, and so what I've seen has been everything you've seen. I'm happy to show everyone if we can do it at a later date.</p> <p>Humans of Canberra: I now have sole control of the page. At our next management meeting I will work with them team to figure out what we should do and how. I've also made a HoC Discord channel with a bunch of photographers and social media people to run that.</p> <p>Alex: Is Zair responding to you?</p> <p>Rose: Yes, need to consider everyone else on the chat.</p> <p>Alex: Any responses from Saad on the DEIC email?</p> <p>Rose: No, I have emailed him twice now, asking to get the email.</p>	
7	Portfolio Updates	<p>Content: Planning day/ meeting went well. The theme for the magazine has been announced and prompts are up. Submissions are coming in already. Was waiting on Dan but prompts are</p>	<p>Matthew to buy new microphone and camera bags.</p> <p>Stock take</p>

up which is good. Online team is going well, two review articles are almost ready, other sub editors working on interesting pieces. Had a good submission come in from Angus and Luca began working with them on it, but Angus shelved the article as they're busy. Still waiting for everyone to give me their availability to get a regular meeting on the cards, hopefully finalised soon. Haven't heard back from Minister Gentleman about the interview they requested regarding upcoming planning changes and impacts on uni students.

Matthew: I really love this theme Lizzie.

Jasmin: Me too

Alex: Me too

Rose: I said I would put the image on the Instagram, but have some concerns regarding the layout of those posts, but it has been put on the contributors page.

Lizzie: Maybe separate posts for the different sections of the team. Also asked sub-editors to post within their personal circles. Will follow up on this.

Art: Emailed Ilija about our print options. We already use their vegetable based ink so that's fine.

Alex: Yum

They do have other paper options, FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certified Mix stock (basically it's from responsible sources). It would be around \$561 to \$572 more expensive per order. They also have FSC Certified stock that is also recycled which would be way more expensive

(like \$2500 more). These quotes were done on the 80pg premise, so with 64pg it would be less, just something to consider. Just had my first team meeting. I've given them the mood board for the next mag and also warned them about the time constraints

Alex: Did we want to look at the price for 64 pages?

Jasmin: We definitely want to stick to 64 pages.

Matthew: There is room to explore the slightly more expensive one, but we cannot explore the \$3000 one.

Rose: Are you planning to use the Woroni Art & Design contributors page?

Jasmin: Yes, I love submissions.

News:

New team has been hired which is great. Getting everyone settled in and completing their training. Everyone is working on interesting/informative articles and, assuming everyone sticks to timelines, we should have a deluge by the end of next week.

Had to delay starting the radio show this week, but it will start up next week. I'm looking forward to it. We're going to try interview people on it, like Brian Schmidt, so let me know if you have other suggestions.

Zelda, Rosie and I brainstormed some ideas for the magazine so we should have articles that fit better with the theme.

I'm thinking of recommending to the next NE that they make the senior writer position redundant. It doesn't fit well into the hierarchy of the team and I think specialisation in a volunteer news team just means people can't experiment and branch out.

Radio: Broadcast has begun. We interviewed Boo Seeka this afternoon which was super great. Very impressed with the questions by my and Virginia's staff. Unfortunately we have had a staff member leave us and currently needing to find a new producer and tech officer.

TV: First meeting is tomorrow. I'm going to scope interest/availability and then organise for Trent Houssenlodge (a filmmaker I know) to come in Week 3 or 4. I've had one production assistant drop out, so the final composition of my team is 12 people.

Also had a couple of people from TV join in with the Boo Seeka interview today - good to see new team members willing to get involved with different parts of Woroni!

New team members yet to gain office access. will check at team meeting tomorrow who exactly has access.

Rose: ANU Security has been notified.

Replaced missing mic (or at least we will when Matthew buys it and the camera bags). In the process of stocktake (everything in the storeroom).

		Matthew: The camera is really small, so you need to send me the bag dimensions.	
<b>Meeting Items</b>			
8	IAC meeting	<p>IAC will be joining us from 7 to discuss our coverage of their events this semester.</p> <p>See Rose and Matthew's notes from our last meeting with them here (including their calendar).</p> <p><a href="#">See their proposed plans for student media coverage</a> - note they intend for us to do this jointly with Observer however they have been ghosted by Observer.</p> <p>Note that they are not as organised as they say they can or will be and thus in your planning consider the high likelihood that all of the work will fall on you.</p> <p>Rose: what they are proposing is untenable, and they will promise things that they cannot follow through with. Debating seems like a lost cause.</p> <p>Virginia: who are the judges?</p> <p>Alex: last year it was ANU staff</p> <p>Virginia: If they are film staff I will consider it.</p> <p>Rose: Up to Lizzie for some of this.</p> <p>Lizzie: Up to my sub-editors, will propose it but still.</p> <p>Rose: Doing this could interfere with other work. Some could be interesting</p>	



but not necessarily connected to what they are asking for.

Lizzie: Will take to the team but not prioritising above work that they are already/plan to be doing.

Rose: A photographer will be going but everything else we will probably not be doing. Virginia? Videos of their directors and their teams.

Virginia: No, but they can use our equipment.

Rose: I proposed a Radio show, but they didn't seem into it. They seemed unwilling to do the work, but expect us to.

George: Very unequal on our side.

Virginia: I have spoken to Oscar informally about this. He's aware of my resistance.

Rose: BNO asking way too much of us considering what they are doing, and are unable to support us in the way that we need.

Virginia: Basically, I will pitch it to my team, but it's up to them.

George: Observer is unable to do this anyway.

Alex: I will be doing far less work than they want.

Alex: How is this meeting going to work?

Rose: They kept coming back to their main points, but they were very disorganised.

		<p>Alex: Is each editor going to talk about what their portfolio would like to?</p> <p>Rose: Yes. We will lead the meeting in this way.</p> <p>Meeting paused/recessed (interrupted by meeting with IAC): 6:48pm - 7:48pm</p>	
9	<p>Typography and Accessibility guidelines</p>	<p>A few of my artists have expressed interest in doing typography for the magazine, (mainly some titles) like how we used to. A lot of them are really good at it, and included it in their portfolio applications. As this inherently cannot be typeset it cannot follow the style guide. This would also mean that the mag wouldn't be as consistent visually, but to be honest I think right now it's a little bit too consistent. My main concern would be the accessibility of this, as the words are drawn rather than typed. As such I have written up a <a href="#">document</a> with the main things to consider with regard to print media and accessibility (btw we already don't follow some of these, so I'm gonna start that anyway). Some of these may be relevant to some of you as it also addresses things like charts, tables and web safe fonts. I've already talked to Lizzie about it and she was ok with it, but I thought I would run it by the Board first to address any concerns you might have with this.</p> <p>Alex: Can you elaborate on what typography is and includes.</p> <p>Jasmin: Its drawn letters.</p>	-
10	<p>Jasmin COI Declaration</p>	<p>Jasmin's mother started a new job with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts (she is</p>	

		<p>within the Transport division). Jasmin's roommate works for the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water (she is within the Water division).</p> <p>Virginia COI: I am now working as a research assistant for ReachOut - a youth mental health charity.</p> <p>Rose: I will be aiming to become the social media manager for SASS, so will let you know if I get that position.</p>	
11	Amy Reimeikis Event	<p>Amy Reimeikis has agreed to come along for a Q&amp;A. I did not realise how much people knew of her / liked her. I thought it would be nice to make it a Woroni in-house Q&amp;A in somewhere like the Tank maybe. Or we could make it an external event but for this I would like event team support.</p> <p>Virginia: I would like to attend and have been told that the ANU media camera guy is someone to talk to - experience in war journalism.</p> <p>Rose: If we make it a Marie Reay thing it will be less skill based.</p> <p>Alex: It could be more generically skills based.</p> <p>Matthew: I think we should go with the Tank.</p> <p>Rose: Sounds great, would it be external to Woroni.</p> <p>Virginia: I think it should be internal, because it will be more skills based and interesting and less of a career thing.</p>	

		<p>Alex: Could be managed well enough to make it work.</p> <p>Rose: What was pitched to her.</p> <p>Alex: Just a Q&amp;A session.</p> <p>Matthew: Desire to be the journalism degree the ANU doesn't have, wouldn't we want to open it up to external people.</p> <p>Rose: Good outreach thing.</p> <p>Alex: Let me write up an EAD and talk to Amy again.</p>	
12	TikTok	<p>Virginia: Following up on previous conversations - can we open this up to other portfolios, and if so, how will posting/approvals work? (Currently only needs to be approved by TV editor). I don't want this to be the responsibility of the social media manager; I would like sub-eds to have the opportunity to make any TikToks they like related to their portfolios.</p> <p>Lizzie: Model it off of something with a fair number of approvals. Something like 3 Editor approvals.</p> <p>Virginia: We could have it so that any Editor can approve it.</p> <p>Virginia: How about 3-4 Editors give an approval?</p> <p>Rose: Or we could do <math>\frac{2}{3}</math> executives, or 4 out of 8 Board Editors.</p> <p>Virginia: I was hoping TikTok would not just be a TV thing because not many people know how to make a TikTok.</p>	<p>Editors talk to teams gauge interest from sub-eds, then coordinate a meeting between all TikTok-interest sub-eds.</p>

