

WORONI

Board Meeting Minutes: 16 March 2023		
Meeting Venue:	Office	
Meeting Opened:	6:02pm, Recess (7:19pm-7:21pm)	
Meeting Closed:	7:30pm	
Present:	Rose Dixon-Campbell, Matthew Box, Lizzie Fewster, George Hogg, Alex Lane, Jasmin Small, Virginia Plas	
Minutes:	Virginia, Jasmin	
Apologies:		
No.	Item	Action Items
1	Acknowledgement of Country	Given by Lizzie.
2	Previous action items	<p>Matthew to return partition - he did, and we got extra posters out of the officeworks escapade</p> <p>George to remind open mic performers for payment details - nobody responding</p> <p>Does Lizzie still need help with wordpress? - no</p> <p>Website to be updated with Cols - done (10:54am, 15/3/23, Rose)</p> <p>Alex to draft Col election regulation.</p> <p>Alex: I will do this in the mid-sem when I have more time.</p>

		<p>Everyone to read policies relevant to their working groups</p> <p>Everyone to message one club or society to repost DEIC hiring - everyone has done something, at least 2 people we know have promised to apply</p> <p>Rose and Matthew to create google form to collect sub-editor COIs, Editors to distribute and explain at team meetings</p> <p>Rose: worth sending it to your teams even if you've already collected COIs by discord</p> <p>Rose to send email for office access</p>	
Standing Items			
3	Minutes Approvals	<p>Motion to approve the minutes from Board meeting of 9 March.</p> <p>For: 7</p> <p>Against:0</p> <p>Abstain:0</p> <p>Status:Passed</p>	
4	Approvals		

5	Finance Update	<p>Business Transaction Account: \$21,743.25</p> <p>Business Online Saver: \$151,711.44</p> <p>Term Deposit: \$60,000</p>	
6	Management Update	<p>Social media: Bri has been busy with uni this week but still found time to finish the essential resources post and is working on the thing Alex asked of her. I have asked her to have her SEO research doc ready for our next board meeting so that we can all review it and discuss her findings.</p> <p>Photography: It has been hard to mobilise this team. Chris is responsive to me on discord and does what he can but he's quite busy. I'm confident he's still fulfilling his MoU though. Oskah and Ben are very hard to get in contact with or to get to commit to work. Hima as well but we'll see this sunday how she goes with the work I have assigned her. I'm going to have a mini intervention on this at our next management meeting because it's too early in the semester for us to be losing track of the team. On Friday I am going to do a photoshoot for campus fashion similar to the one from the consumed mag but just for online/social media destination.</p> <p>Humans of Canberra: I have revised the model I put to the board ages ago. See updated here. We will be having our planning meeting at the next Management team meeting. Zair Ahmed will be coming. I am going to make him sign a modified MoU but will clearly outline that he is not a sub-editor and is a volunteer similar to radio show presenters. I will be adding him to the discord but he will only be in the general channels and the HoC</p>	

		<p>team channel. I will be asking each photographer to aim to produce one post a fortnight, which should give us minimum two posts a week for the page.</p> <p>Rose: stakeholder editors (Virginia and George) will be in the discord channel but not expected to contribute to HoC</p> <p>Events: My team is working on developing questions and theming for a Woroni Has a Mic event and TikTok ideas for such an event. Jeffrey working on his projects.</p> <p>Website: N/A</p>	
7	Portfolio Updates	<p>Content: Submissions for FoP Mag are now collated and with the SSE. Due to the tight time frame, I have offered to help the SSE with the structural edits as we are already behind schedule. Looks like CAD will be delivered to board next Friday.</p> <p>Online team has been very slow/ failing to respond to messages, pieces not materialising, very poor online team turn out at meeting today despite many reminders. Question: what is the usual number of online pieces going up every week, and also taking suggestions on how I can gently prompt online team (aside from mentioning to them their obligations as per the MoUs, which I've already done).</p> <p>Alex: If they aren't participating as they should, I will initiate a conversation with them about them filling their MOU. But, it's hard. If they fully check out, just treat them like they aren't really there and then they will be dismissed when they can be.</p>	

		<p>Rose: Indy's hiring could have also had an impact on this. Could email past applicants about positions.</p> <p>Alex: Be careful because this could make people jaded, only go for people with great applications. Easy to not rehire people at the start of the next semester if you can conceive of a better applicant.</p> <p>Ben agreed to interview however is away in Melb until Tuesday.</p> <p>Rose: haven't heard from Chris but will email the ProACT lady. Time has to be given to the photography for these. I will text Hima if she is available Tuesday.</p> <p>Art: Updated the online-content channel procedure to standard practice and wrote up the news-graphics procedure. Accessibility guidelines have been sent out and offered to help out if any confusion. Max Macfarlane is now my other senior sub-ed. We also have a mag cover.</p> <p>News: Had a few articles out over the weekend which was good. I'm quite happy with what people produced, especially for their first articles. What were other people's thoughts?</p> <p>Lizzie: I like them</p> <p>Alex: Sounds obvious but had some teething issues giving stu-pol-ish articles to new reporters who get it a bit confused. With that said, I got a subpar</p>	
--	--	---	--

article from Shebani which is something to watch out for.

For context, supposed to be less about stupid people and more about student voices. In my books, people in stupid are not student voices.

More articles coming in, especially with student protests. Need to move onto the Shadow Workforce series but am a bit anxious about it.

Jasper did well on the radio, happy with that. Zelda is really getting into the Senior role, while I think Rosie might be clocking out a bit. I might check in with her because I don't want her to burn out.

Matthew: Could it be worth checking in with her and asking if she wants to step back a bit.

Alex: I think if she needs it she will take it anyway.

I would like more feedback from the board to pass on to reporters.

Rose: Could you give us a time frame

Alex: Let me know if you can't do it in 5 hours.

Radio: Not much happening in Radio currently, just finalised broadcast schedule. Would love to go a week where the radio works the whole time.

Virginia: Are you looking into different systems?

George: I need to but unfortunately, Jazzler is the industry standard.

		<p>Matthew: does one of your microphones not work?</p> <p>George: yes.</p> <p>Alex: Will the third mic work?</p> <p>George: We will need to buy one.</p> <p>Matthew: Can we see if any of the old ones will work?</p> <p>George: Will check.</p> <p>TV: Had a filmmaker come in for PD on Tuesday - went well, sub-eds had a chance to ask their questions, and we had the majority of the TV team show up.</p> <p>All teams seem on track with their timelines. I've done a little premiere pro training with anyone who wanted it, and I know Lucy has been running camera training with her team.</p> <p>Considering getting in touch with people working in tv news / digital content production for PD later in the semester.</p>	
--	--	--	--

Meeting Items

8	IAC	<p>Rose has sent them two follow up emails (9/3 and 13/3) and heard nothing back. Messaged Oskah on 15/3 and heard nothing also.</p> <p>Virginia: Will anything be done about Oskar's lack of communication?</p> <p>Rose: We are intervening with Oskah about lack of communication from him.</p>	
---	-----	---	--

9	Policy Working Groups Details	<p>Matthew:</p> <p>Up to each individual working group how they want to do meetings e.g. ad hoc or organised, fortnightly etc.</p> <p>Each policy should be discussed at each meeting even if just briefly.</p> <p>Agenda should be essentially the same at every meeting, just discussion items for each policy.</p> <p>Minutes can be less extensive than they are for board meetings, record important statements and decisions; minutes will not be public, purely for the Board if they ask to see them.</p> <p>Working groups are free to decide how they make decisions on recommendations to the Board (majority vote/consensus).</p> <p>Needs to be done this semester as there is no point in forming these working groups if we are just going to have to start again next semester.</p> <p>Timeline:</p> <p>High priority policies: First meeting: week 5 Final meeting: week 8 Provide proposed changes: week 9 Vote on changes: week 10</p> <p>Medium priority policies: First meeting: week 6/break 1 Final meeting: week 11 Provide proposed changes: week 12 Vote on changes: before end of semester</p>	-
---	-------------------------------	---	---

10	DEIC hiring	<p>Questions</p> <p>Alex: what's your experience should be followed by how you would apply any learnings so far</p> <p>Lizzie: When I was interviewed I was surprised that there was very little about who I was as a person</p> <p>Alex: we should provide more context for the ANU media question</p> <p>Rose: we will</p> <p>Alex: We shouldn't ad-lib this.</p> <p>Rose: this question is about the DEIC's capacity to handle Alex</p> <p>Alex: not like a crazed gorilla in a zoo!</p>	
11	Team meeting schedule	<p>Art and Radio have no reserved team meeting slots in the doc - why?</p> <p>Jasmin: It changes every time.</p> <p>George: We don't need one because we have no ongoing projects. I check in with my team as they come in for their shifts. There isn't a time when everyone is free.</p> <p>Rose: I need to introduce myself to the teams. Maybe I can do this in the radio discord - for HR reasons.</p> <p>George and Jasmin: our teams know to go to Rose for HR reasons</p>	
12	Photography Zine (Rose)	<p>When we were sorting out our budget at the start of the year Indy pitched for more funding on the basis that she wanted to print a creative anthology</p>	<p>Rose to email Ilja. Lizzie to talk to Claudia and Aala</p>

zine. And hired extra subeds (that's why we have two creative subeditors).

Print budget belongs to everyone but is mainly used by Content and Art. In the absence of any intentions from Lizzie or Jasmin I would like to utilise this funding still (as we did inform the university that we would be publishing a zine when we pitched for funds) for a photography zine. I envision this would be a combination of submissions from the community and work from the team. I would like to do all the formatting and layout work but am happy to incorporate others' work if there is desire to collaborate. Any sub-editor from any team would be welcome to contribute and I am open to ideas from contributors as to what content we should have and how it should be laid out.

If this is satisfactory with the board I will reach out to Ilija to get some quotes so we can budget accordingly.

Lizzie: I would want the creative subeditors involved as well as Jas.

Rose: words can be involved without doing sourcing.

Lizzie: we don't have capacity for that anyway.

Jas: your team could choose the best pieces from the mag.

Rose: that was Indy's idea. My plan is a photography zine.

Jas: why can't we take over the idea?

Rose: there may be a budget reason if we want eco-friendly printing.

Lizzie: photography zine is not a creative anthology. Why not do both?

Jas: we can include photography in a creative anthology

Rose: i didn't endorse a creative anthology in the first place because we've done that before. Photography hiring showed a community on campus - I'd like to tap into it. Words could be poems to accompany a piece but I envisaged a photography driven project.

Jas: if your team is struggling at the moment would they be able to participate?

Rose: yes, with my intervention in the next meeting. We'll also be taking contributions and a zine is only 10 pages.

Lizzie: creative anthology is a good thing to add

Virginia: I think us having done a creative anthology is a reason to not do one now. Students have a short memory for what Woroni has done, and an anthology was pre-2021.

Jas: What's the timeline?

Rose: Within the semester.

Lizzie: Claudia and Aala are currently a bit more free to help out

Rose: I would like content to get involved on a volunteer basis, not tell them they have to. I'm happy to pitch it to them. Anyone involved would have to come to management meetings.

		<p>Should we put it to a vote?</p> <p>Lizzie: it would be fair to ask sub-editors if they're interested first</p> <p>Jas: a lot of my sub-editors have experience making a zine</p> <p>Lizzie: I don't know if my sub-editors know anything about the zine yet. Today was the first time I heard about this.</p> <p>Jas: I was waiting for Lizzie to finish a mag before I bought the anthology up.</p> <p>Rose: I think I have capacity to do this over the semester, instead of over a mag timeline</p> <p>Matthew: the anthology is mentioned in the creative MOUs.</p> <p>Alex: if it's in the MOUs we need to talk to them</p> <p>Lizzie: especially since I just made them reread the MOUs</p> <p>Rose: if they want to do the anthology does that mean photography zine can't happen</p> <p>Jas: also depends on costs</p> <p>Rose: I need board approval to get quotes from Ilja</p> <p>Matthew: it might be eco-friendly printing and one or non-eco-friendly and both</p> <p>Jas: the ecofriendly option is only slightly better</p> <p>Lizzie: better than a zine? Doubt it.</p>	
--	--	---	--

		<p>Jas: zines don't have a set size. We can lower the number of pages if we have to. And we can print zines (really sad ones) here.</p>	
13	Covering the Voice	<p>Alex: The debate around the Voice is only getting larger, and at some point we will have to cover it. Referendum will be in October?</p> <p>I have my own thoughts on the Voice, but I think its good that we start thinking about the kind of coverage we want to give it, across the organisation. This will be a historic moment for Australia - also incredibly controversial.</p> <p>We should have a comprehensive plan as a board, although we won't sort that out today.</p> <p>So two driving questions, what do we want our organisational approach to be?</p> <p>Alex: To complicate things, the ID remains divided on the Voice and whether they support it or not. From second-hand sources, I've heard it described as "Officer supports it, others don't." So, ID as a representation of FN students is looking unlikely. We could reach beyond to the Tent Embassy, Paul House at the ANU and on to politicians?</p> <p>Matthew: Professor Asmi Wood would be a good person to talk to.</p> <p>Virginia: would recommend reaching out to the Indigenous Studies Department.</p> <p>Alex: What content does each Editor want?</p>	

Alex: I want to introduce the issue, and explain the ID and ANUSA stances, and how to vote.

I would be concerned about people writing in with their thoughts on the voice because our readership is ANUSA kids who should touch grass.

Lizzie: I don't have a solid enough grip to come up with an approach right now but I like the idea of a coordinated response. I want to make sure we're only publishing voices related to it.

Alex: All content should be putting a variety of indigenous voices first. Debate where Indigenous voices are underrepresented - we shouldn't give the mic to a white guy who wants to talk about the revolution.

Tough discussion, are we going to take a stance?

Lizzie: Represent a plethora of opinions.

Matthew: I don't want to commit the next board to being in agreement on this.

Rose: I'd like to see reporting on the discussions that are happening around the voice. We can do that without taking a stance, but we would look silly to pretend the debate isn't happening.

Alex: we're going to get anti-voice comments from SAIt on this. This is going to be a hot topic for ANUSA.

I think it would be good to come up with a blurb to put at the bottom of articles to explain our editorial position.

		Rose: could be worth mentioning that the indigenous department didn't take a stance, but if they had we probably would have adopted it.	
14	Team meeting budgets	<p>As Matthew is a fundamentally benevolent managing editor he will keep track of your meeting expenses in this spreadsheet. Different expenses are based on team size. It does not roll over to next semester. No booze, pornography, or fireworks. Don't overspend. He would prefer to pay for things but if that's not possible make sure you get a receipt:</p> <p>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wtCNsrNVOTZaID-Yb1-QCxpuhL2xZAnPHF4KzYFP1Ik/edit?usp=sharing</p> <p>MGMT: \$81.82</p> <p>NEWS: \$118.18</p> <p>CONT: \$127.27</p> <p>ART: \$81.82</p> <p>TV: \$118.18</p> <p>RAD: \$72.73</p>	
15	Social media channel organisation	<p>Everyone nominate your delegate.</p> <p>TV: Virginia</p> <p>Art: Hassan Alanzi (TBD)</p> <p>Content: Lizzie until first meeting where people actually show up and i can pitch it</p> <p>Radio: George</p> <p>News: Alexander</p> <p>Rose to add them to the channel.</p>	

		<p>Rose: whoever the rep is will have to come to a management meeting to build a relationship with Bri</p> <p>Rose: you put your projects in the channel and Bri will take it if she has capacity or I will</p>	
16	George Col	<p>Stage Manager for ShakeSoc's MacBitches, will be done in week 6. Will be missing the board meeting in week 6 because of it.</p> <p>Alex: Will content be doing a review of this?</p> <p>Lizzie: probably.</p> <p>Rose: put it to the content channel. If nobody wants it, put it to general. We can pay for people to go</p> <p>RECESS AT 7:19PM</p> <p>MEETING RESUMED 7:21PM</p>	
17	SSAF Underspend SSC Sub-Group	<p>They want someone from each org on the sub-group. Not Alex. If you're interested let Matthew know.</p> <p>Rose: you're the most qualified candidate</p> <p>Matthew: But I don't want to go. And i don't think any decisions are going to be made.</p> <p>Alex: I will! Record the conversations for me?</p> <p>Matthew: no.</p> <p>Matthew: if anyone else wants to do it let me know by thursday. If not, guess I'll go.</p>	

18	SSAF 3-Year Agreement Planning	<p>Matthew: we'll have to submit our proposal by 15th of June, to begin 1st of July. It may be a 2 and a half year agreement or we may push it back to make it a 3 year one. Please have a think about funding priorities for your portfolio over the next few years and what you think might be useful. Seniors and sub-editors can get involved. We may make a survey to understand what ANU community priorities for Woroni are.</p> <p>Lizzie: I think a survey for what people want from Woroni would be really good.</p> <p>Alex: Are we doing this in conjunction with ANUSA?</p> <p>Matthew: not really. We can cross-advertise surveys but we have the same audience as them.</p>	Lizzie and Matthew to talk about survey for greater ANU opinion.
19	Fraud Report	<p>Report</p> <p>Vote to accept that it exists - not necessarily to agree with its findings.</p> <p>Alex: we should talk about culture and things we should have done earlier at the fraud working group.</p> <p>Motion to acknowledge the existence of the fraud report.</p> <p>For: 7</p> <p>Against: 0</p> <p>Abstain: 0</p> <p>Status: passed</p>	