

WORONI

BOARD MEETING MINUTES:
Thursday 01 September 2022, 6:00pm

Meeting Venue:	Woroni Bedroom, Kambri Office
Meeting Opened:	6:07
Meeting Closed:	7:45
Present (anticipated)	Juliette Baxter, Matthew Box, Rose Dixon-Campbell, Alexander Lane, Karolina Kocimska, Clara Ho, Fergus Sherwood
Apologies:	Saad Khalid

No.	Item	Action Items	
1	Acknowledgement of Country	Delivered by Juliette	
2	Confirmation of Previous Minutes	Moved to email. Please reply to agenda email.	Moved to email
3	Previous Action Items:	Email to James Brann - cash bar is all good re SSAF funding Message to events team re mag launch sent	

Meeting Items

4	Approvals	CAD done by the end of the weekend	
---	-----------	------------------------------------	--

5	Finance Update	<p>Business Transaction Account: \$131,703.89 Business Online Saver: \$102,957.82 Term Deposit: \$60,000</p> <p>No other updates re finance</p>	
6	Management Update	<p>Social Media: Juliette</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - Not much to update in regards to the social media team, BAU, checking in with them seeing how they are going with workload and also how we want to ramp up social media advertisement for the launch <p>Karo: encourage them to take initiative? Juliette: yes, where specifically? Karo: we tell them what to do, once a term encourage them to take on a project for themselves</p> <p>Events: Matthew</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - Discussion of conflicts of interest with Events Officers, when they are engaging suppliers or student bands that they engage lots of people and not just people that they know <p>Fergus: the Events Officers may be engaging people that they know and we need to spend SSAF responsibly</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - Events Officers email to be created. MJB to have access to this email. <p>Rose: seconded</p>	Events Officers email to be created. MJB to have access to this email.
7	Portfolio Updates	<p>News: Alex (not to be discussed):</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - First election piece out. - finalising debate structure; some pushback from tickets. <p>(to be discussed)</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - anti-semitism piece. - Can we fix the emails, its weirding people out when I contact them? - Observer did a really similar article to what we're doing, should we pursue. - Yates and Flynn had a hostile meeting with Jewish students recently and I think maybe we should look into this - A few tickets have raised this topic of increased consultation 	

		<p>Fergus: other tickets may be relying on this, lets be careful how we talk about and engage with this. It is a dicey thing re motions about Palestine. Can't generalise about groups of students</p> <p>Alex: I think the focus was asking for more consultation because of the anti-semitism that Jewish students face on campus, we will tread carefully</p> <p>Juliette: the number of Jewish students on campus is probably higher than that of Palestinian students so we need to make sure we reach out to that group of students</p> <p>Alex: I know we have stopped writing articles that Observer has put out content about</p> <p>Juliette: Yes but I don't think that is necessary, if you are going to do it differently or better</p> <p>Alex: Yes I think the article will be of a better quality than Observers'</p> <p>Radio: Fergus</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none">- WAAP starting, please be aware if using equipment, if people are borrowing the Zooms (field recorders) that some of them are for the access program so be aware of that <p>Art: Rose</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none">- Mag is underway, really impressed with the work coming from the team so far and also their receptiveness to action my feedback is a testament to their strong work ethics and humility as artists.- Kissing photoshoot this saturday - please get involved or ask people you know to get involved - Rose's debut as a photographer (thank you Clara for the tutorial).- Would like any CAD edits finalised by 7 September. I will probably put things in the mag gradually once they get 6/8 approvals, but I'll make a note in the CAD of the articles I do this to so we know not to make further edits without letting me know.- SUPER IMPORTANT: A lot of the art (particularly coming from me) for CAYA is of a sensitive nature and I've promised models that the art will not be reproduced	
--	--	---	--

elsewhere. In light of this, this art will belong to me for all time i.e. I will be taking it with me when I leave Woroni; and should you wish to use any art from CAYA for any reason please ask me first so I can confirm it's not something that should be limited in use.

Karo: how do we deal with that online?

Rose: blank page?

Karo: can we have a colour wash?

Rose: yes

- Abreshmi has decided to leave the team due to capacity reasons. ;_;

Content: Karolina

- Brainstorming meeting on Tuesday went well
- Last mag will come out in week 12
- Concern moving forward is that Sarah is going on exchange in semester 1 and the majority of my team will be graduating, there may be a mass exodus and I don't know what is going to happen. Suddenly there was a skills progression problem - this is something to flag with everyone re content moving forward

Juliette: News lost people to exchange this semester

Rose: I lost my whole team

Juliette: I think it will be fine. Sometimes non-content people run for Content Editor.

TV: Clara

- Solar racing filming on Saturday
- Animal video is being edited
- Just released exchange student video

Karo: I note the content of TV is improved

Clara: I think the difference is explained by the fact that we have more agency and people are prescribing me less content.

Alex: Virginia seems quite dedicated

Clara: she has been coming in late because they have a lot to do and she has been sick

8	Anonymous SASH Piece	<p>Matthew: When will the lawyers send written advice and an invoice, I'd like to reconcile the payment and cannot do so without an invoice</p> <p>Karo: We do not know. Saad did not CC me in the email.</p> <p>Matthew: I will ask Saad.</p>	Saad to email Matthew the invoice.

9	Magazine Launch (Week 7)	<p>Juliette: Matthew contacted the Events Officers re the new vision for the event. Karo do you have any ideas of what pieces could be read out</p> <p>Karo: a couple of articles mentioned</p> <p>Rose: we don't want them to be too long</p> <p>Karo: they will probably only read one paragraph anyway</p> <p>Juliette: Do we have a quote for ambush?</p> <p>Matthew: No</p> <p>Karo: can we make a Facebook event for this Agreement</p> <p>Rose: I can make promotional material</p> <p>Clara: I have been making a 'making of the mag video' and we could post this around the same time</p> <p>Rose: Do we have any update on the gallery idea floated around earlier?</p> <p>Fergus: we would need to provide all the materials and they would get a professional/accredited to put it up. it may be logistically too difficult.</p> <p>Rose: that's all good</p> <p>Fergus: unclear whether or not we can move the centre boxes where we can display magazines</p>	Matthew to send a message following up on old aMBUSH space
---	--------------------------	--	--

		<p>Juliette: maybe we could do a gallery for the last edition of the magazine</p>	
10	<p>Conflict of interest declaration</p>	<p>Tabled until next meeting</p>	
11	<p>How to manage the workload of cross-portfolio employees</p>	<p>Matthew: If you are assigning work to events officers it needs to go in the events chat so that everyone knows how much work they are doing and do not overwork them. Also for fairness so that everyone gets use of the events officers.</p> <p>Juliette: This is a good precedent for all cross-portfolio employees</p> <p>Alex: Has anyone mentioned to Saad that it was inappropriate to plan the careers in media event without notifying the board?</p> <p>Juliette: he mentioned it to me and I told him he should send it to the board but I don't know what happened with that</p> <p>Fergus: we had a meeting where we talked about forecasting the events budget and we struck it from the plan so I don't know what is happening there</p> <p>Juliette: I think because it was a free event he thought it would not be a problem but he should discuss it with the board regardless. I think we should table this discussion until Saad can comment.</p> <p>Should we make an approvals policy for events, an EAD if you will? - Alex. See updated approvals policy below, have also removed mentions to the Print Team.</p>	

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t-9cyGqAIRIAJy-HoTSDIN6AQJgP7oEBL-2TK90J424/edit?usp=sharing>

Juliette: do you want to vote on this now or not?

Alex: maybe we should hold off on this until Saad is here

Juliette: yes we will hold off

Alex: The EAD was not my idea. The minutes should note it was Rose's idea.

Rose: The EAD was my idea.

14	Dismissal Policy	<p>Flow on from previous meeting</p> <p>New and improved re-hiring policy https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QBHkxSjxWh23M1vdxUNqstjO-PdWZNS/edit?usp=sharing&oid=114102934285069804542&rtpof=true&sd=true</p> <p>Alex: The change essentially is that an Editor must renegotiate the MOU before not rehiring.</p> <p>Juliette: I think clause 3 should come under clause 2</p> <p>Alex: okay yes</p> <p>Karo: with this renegotiation, what if someone is just not good enough?</p> <p>Alex: well then you would need to use the dismissal policy</p> <p>Juliette: So the new MOU would apply to everyone?</p> <p>Alex: Yes</p> <p>Juliette: That should be made clearer</p> <p>Fergus: I think this forces people to use the dismissal policy rather than using this policy to dismiss people</p> <p>Alex: The other addition is that the editor gives 3 reasons to the board and the subeditor why clause 2 and 3 have been satisfied.</p> <p>Juliette: what other reasons are there? The policy states only 2 possible reasons</p> <p>Alex: yes you need to state the 3 reasons for why there is a better applicant or why it is highly likely that there would be a better applicant</p> <p>Juliette: How often do we think this would be used in portfolios?</p> <p>Karo: speaking from content it would be at least 2 a year</p>	
----	------------------	--	--

Alex: Even if we don't need to use it, it is good to have just in case.

Karo: I don't understand points 2, 3 and 4.

Alex: If you don't want to rehire you have to say that you are unsure whether you want to rehire and then you have to offer to renegotiate the MOUs.

Karo: I was under the impression that all MOUs were the same?

Juliette: Yes under this policy they would all have new MOUs.

Alex: If you find a reason to not change their MOU/not rehire them then you can dismiss them using the dismissal policy.

Motion: that the proposed rehiring policy will be adopted by Woroni

For: 7
Against: 0
Abstentions: 0

Passes

15	SCRIPT Update	<p>Matthew: LitSoc: Met with Piper on Monday, went through options for how we can do funding. They will send us an invoice for 75% of their grant amount in accordance with SCRIPT Fund Guidelines (total of \$1967.72 - invoice will be for \$1475.79). They have all contributions and are getting graphics done now, they should be printing in October some time. Once they have expended all of the grant total we will send them the final 25%. The reason we are doing it this way is because they have a few different sources for their expenditure.</p> <p>Chiaro: Met with Vy on Wednesday, we are going to pay their printing invoice when it gets sent to us. They will be printing in November. Some of the grant is going to be spent on buying sticker paper - Vy will come into the office on Sunday the 11th of September at 1pm to print these I will be in to supervise.</p> <p>Fergus: I really like how much work you've done in this.</p> <p>*applause*</p>	
16	SSAF	<p>Matthew: I would like us to start thinking about what sort of a bid we would like to present for a 3-year SSAF agreement with the ANU. We cannot present a 1 year proposal 3 times so we need to think about future planning and what sort of initiatives we want to set up for funding for 2023-25. Something to seriously think about as we would be locking future boards into this funding agreement which may be difficult to alter so it is important that we get it right.</p> <p>Alex: What would that look like? How would we change the level of funding each year?</p> <p>Matthew: That's the point. What do we want to invest in? What are our priorities? We don't need to answer this right now.</p> <p>Fergus: Will we be rejected if we submit the same application for each year?</p>	Possible action item: member of exec to either clarify email from ANU or check in with ANUSA to see how they fulfil this obligation.

		<p>Matthew: That is one of the issues we are considering. We will lock in future editors so we need to be very careful.</p> <p>Juliette: We need to have an in depth SSAF discussion to better understand what this means.</p> <p>Alex: We should take stock of our current resources. We could also include some of the senior sub-editors as they may occupy future editor positions.</p> <p>Karo: Is it confirmed that there will be 3 year funding agreements?</p> <p>Matthew: It is very likely to happen. I also was told to use the SSAF badges on anything that is funded by SSAF.</p> <p>Clara: Does this mean we need SSAF badge on everything we produce?</p> <p>Matthew: We need to clarify this. *Matthew reads email from anu*</p> <p>Juliette: Let's ask ANUSA how they do it</p> <p>Alex: I'm sure there are ways around it.</p>	
17	Sensitivity training	<p>Alex: Could Juliette / the exec organise org-wide sensitivity training? I would but I feel like I have too much on my plate</p> <p>Juliette: What do you mean when you say sensitivity training?</p> <p>Alex: covers a number of points (SASH, diversity etc)</p> <p>Juliette: The last board looked into this with the SBS diversity training and that was going to cost thousands of dollars. Mentions another expensive option.</p> <p>Alex: If it is going to be too expensive could Editors explain the policies around this to our sub editors?</p> <p>Juliette: Just explain the policies?</p>	Juliette: contact Democracy in Colour and ANU Media about running trainings

		<p>Alex: Things like defamation, thoughts about reporting on SASH, ways to make it less expensive.</p> <p>Juliette: I think with things like SASH we should go to somewhere like ANU Media. I know Content has done sensitivity training previously.</p> <p>Karo: During Lily's term she, Rose and Aleyn created and delivered a sensitivity training which covered the needs of the content team. When I assumed office it was said that it was inappropriate for students to be running sensitivity training for other students so it escalated to a Board matter and little has been done since.</p> <p>Rose: I have done the SBS training and I don't think it suits our needs.</p> <p>Juliette: That is important to note.</p> <p>Rose: I would add that this feels like more of an EIC/Exec responsibility than portfolio editors</p>	
18	Term Deposit	<p>Motion: To renew the ANUSM Inc. Term Deposit (062-903 50223034) with the Commonwealth Bank with \$60,000 at 3.00% p.a. for 18 months. The authorities on this TD will be the same as those on the previous TD - Juliette Baxter, Muhammad Khalid and Matthew Box.</p> <p>Matthew: The term deposit has matured. We can currently do 3% pa for 18 months.</p> <p>Alex: What do we use it for?</p> <p>Matthew: Capital generation.</p> <p>For: 7 against: 0 abstain: 0</p> <p>Passes</p>	
19	Content Warnings for Contributor posts	<p>Juliette: I received a complaint from a student, it was not anonymous, they felt that there needed to be more spacing in between the content warning and the text of the post and also the image might show something in that content warning. Other</p>	

		<p>groups get around this by putting the image in the comments</p> <p>Rose: Which post?</p> <p>Juliette: Multiple.</p> <p>Karo: Primarily the prompts for cum as you are.</p> <p>Juliette: This would apply to everyone not just content, might be harder for news articles but for contributor posts we could do a better job.</p> <p>Juliette: What do you think about this Karolina?</p> <p>Karo: I do not have an opinion.</p> <p>Fergus: We are putting stuff on spotify, presenters say content warnings before the podcast/show starts. Do we want it in writing in the show descriptions?</p> <p>Juliette: Maybe.</p> <p>Fergus: It would be more workload.</p> <p>Juliette: I think if it is prefaced in the episodes then that is fine.</p> <p>Alex: Is there enough time between the content warnings and the content?</p> <p>Juliette: 5 second rule?</p> <p>Fergus: Agree.</p>	
20	Updating Website	<p>Can we put on the website, the new:</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> - style guide - dismissal policy <p>Do we want our headshots on the website as well?</p> <p>Clara: Have we talked to the website designers yet?</p> <p>Juliette: Not yet but I will do that over the break, a lot of my energy has been spent supporting the board etc.</p>	

		<p>Karo: I think getting the website up is important. Juliette if you are lacking capacity we would like to assist you.</p> <p>Juliette: I will have capacity over break.</p>	
21	Reviews	<p>Juliette: Who wrote this?</p> <p>Fergus: I did, I know I have a conflict of interest but just because of what happened I want to know the way sub editors engage with comments. Maybe the writer should not have addressed comments the way they did. Alienating the audience/arguing with them was not very professional.</p> <p>Alex: We tell news reporters not to respond to comments.</p> <p>Karo: I understand your perspectives. I respect Maddy's agency to respond and to clarify misunderstandings. Personally I think Maddy was diplomatic while others weren't. I recognise that this is my opinion. I would feel very uncomfortable telling people not to respond since they are presenting their own opinion. Also Maddy is a part of the team, what would happen if she were a contributor? We have to consider that the public doesn't know who is and isn't Woroni and that it is important for sub-editors and writers alike to not feel supported by woroni and that they have the right to stand up for themselves.</p> <p>7:22 pm Juliette leaves, recess</p> <p>7:26 pm Juliette returns, recess ends</p> <p>Juliette: Where is Indy at with the women's revue review?</p> <p>Karo: I don't know.</p> <p>Alex: I think that whatever policy we do in response to the revue fallout should be continued for the medium term at least. This may lead us to write multiple reviews for upcoming productions. It sends the message about where we stand as an</p>	

		<p>institution and whether we stand in solidarity with sub-editors.</p> <p>Karo: Given the amount of time that has passed I do not think we should publish a second review of the women's revue. I have 4 people interested in writing for 'when the rain stops falling' so we will have multiple reviews for that.</p> <p>Juliette: That is a good idea.</p> <p>Alex: I feel like Maddy does have the right to respond to comments but we should find a middle ground to improve the aesthetics. Perhaps the content editor can also weigh in and frame Woroni's policies with reference to reviews. without this 'adjudication' of sorts it looks like a spit-fight. We could change the narrative with a diplomatic pinned comment that lets people know they can write their own review.</p> <p>Matthew: Or that they can utilise Letters to the editor.</p> <p>Alex: I think that would improve the aesthetics in the future.</p> <p>Karo: I like that.</p> <p>Alex: It is also us not leaving our sub-editors without support.</p> <p>Juliette: We are deciding that if articles become contentious an editor will step in.</p> <p>Rose: The message should be decided upon beforehand in the board chat.</p> <p>Agreement</p> <p>Juliette: How many people read Maddy's review before it was posted?</p> <p>Karo: Maddy wanted to post the review ahead of the opening night. I authorised a timely approval for the piece. No one else on the board read it. In the future I think it is not worth posting a review while the show is running because there is more that can go wrong than right. I will be informing the future content editor of this as well.</p>	
--	--	--	--

		<p>Juliette: The dress rehearsal review was inappropriate. Reviewers should go to the matinee.</p> <p>Fergus: The review coming out during the run of the show can be very daunting and stressful for the cast. Particularly with such a headline it can perturb these individuals. The cast felt that it 'psyched them out'. It was not a positive experience for them. We should not do this in future.</p> <p>Juliette: This speaks to reviews more generally. What standards are we reviewing against? What is our role in the cultural community? I think this is where a lot of the contention came from. How would we feel if someone gave us the same treatment? Student theatre and woroni are spaces for people to try new things.</p> <p>Alex; I agree and we should discuss this further. I do not think we should say that reviews should all be positive.</p> <p>Juliette: The criticism should be proportionate</p> <p>Alex: I agree. I think it is important we carve out a space for sub-editors to express their thoughts. Maybe we should explain some caveats to them. I think sub-editors should be able to express their opinions. Maybe if something like maddy's review happens again, we can action another review for a balanced perspective. I would add that Woroni does receive criticism from students. News particularly hears a lot from ANU Media about the quality of our articles. At the very least we should be able to say to our sub-editors that they can have opinions that we will back. It would be bad if we turned away contributions because they are negative.</p> <p>Juliette: I agree but students should substantiate their claims.</p> <p>Fergus: I want to note as comparison Rose's review of Romeo and Juliet. This was a universally hated play. Rose managed to highlight the negative aspects but softballed the criticism. It is a really good review but it didn't make the</p>	
--	--	--	--

		<p>criticism so provocative. Whereas I feel Maddy hard-balled 'positives' that weren't very positive at all.</p> <p>Rose: My review is also viewed a lot on the website, which speaks to the fact that reviews can still be relevant if they come out after the show's end and that negative reviews are still appreciated and engaged with by the community.</p> <p>Matthew: Can we reach a middle ground, it doesn't have to be as soft as Rose's.</p> <p>Karo: I think this is moot because we have a variety of students and experiences coming through. Rose is an experienced reviewer. We accept contributions. Getting people to write reviews is hard. While I think people are making great points it will be difficult for us to translate them to a productive tool for sub-editors beyond this room.</p> <p>Rose: I think that there is a way to prescribe a certain way to deliver criticism, the compliment sandwich works well. I understand the merit of a provocative and interesting title I did that with R&J *applause*</p> <p>But with Maddy's article I don't think that the title properly reflected the tone of the article and this is something that would be read immediately without context.</p> <p>Fergus: From discussions with the cast I know that Maddy did not ask for people's pronouns. The cast was angry with the use of the word 'girl'. It looks awkward that we updated it with the context. It looked like Maddy hadn't told us and thus neglected a duty of hers. Were you aware of the fact she had only seen the dress rehearsal?</p> <p>Karo: No I was not. I received an email from the producer outlining their concerns. I am disappointed with Maddy's conduct through the review process as outlined by the producer. I am considering what needs to change in the team to rectify this. Maddy missed training this semester and joined late in semester 1.</p>	
--	--	--	--

		<p>Fergus: I will not advocate that Maddy gets reprimanded. I think it was a lapse in judgement on her part.</p> <p>Karo: I agree.</p>	
22	Storeroom etiquette	<p>Clara: Do photographers have access to the storeroom? I have had equipment go missing</p> <p>Juliette: I have not given access to the photographers.</p> <p>Matthew: I have not either</p> <p>Alex: I will check in with Oskah. Oskah says he does not have access to the storeroom, but that Saad had offered to show him and that he missed this.</p> <p>Clara: Since they have their own equipment I don't think they need access.</p> <p>Fergus: Stuff is going missing a lot. I would like to know who has access to the storeroom because it seems it's an unregulated list of people.</p>	