Wright Hall, one of ANU’s three new residential halls set to open for 2019, has released information regarding the election process for its Residents’ Committee.

The hall itself is the only entirely new residence in terms of administration and structure, as the other two new residential buildings will house pre-existing college administrations and identities. Wright Hall, on the other hand, is tasked with creating the beginnings of a college and all that it entails – including electing a Residents’ Committee.

Wright Hall’s electoral process is one that has not yet been implemented in any of the University’s residential halls, as the method with which executive positions are chosen is considerably different to that of any other hall.

General positions and the role of treasurer will be determined via a vote by the Hall’s future residents – those who will have been successful in their returners or transfer applications. This is in keeping with the electoral processes of other residential halls. However, Wright’s Res-Com will involve three executive positions (President, Vice-President and Secretary) that are determined by an internal vote after a general vote determining the three people eligible to be chosen for these positions.

These “executive candidates” will be decided through an open vote in the same way that any of the general positions will be decided. After the candidates have been chosen, the rest of the elected Residents’ Committee will vote among themselves to decide which of the candidates occupy the different executive positions.

Proposed by Lachy Day, a 2018 General Representative of ANUSA and the incoming General Secretary for 2019, this new method is purportedly designed so as to “to allow the new residents to select their representative body while also allowing the Residents’ Committee to select how they want to be led”.

It is unclear how effective such a process will be in such circumstances where it is possible that a majority of the committee will not know each other to the same extent as in pre-existing halls.

Accepted residents of Wright Hall will be able to nominate themselves for positions on the Residents’ Committee at the Inaugural General Meeting on 19 October (Friday of Week 11).