Sports Shorts: October 2014

Cricket

Australia has won the ODI series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates 3-0, clinching the final game in dramatic fashion. With Pakistan needing two runs off the final over, and with two wickets in hand, Glenn Maxwell was the hero for the Aussies completing a double wicket maiden. Other notable mentions are the batting of David Warner and Steve Smith, as well as Smith’s incredible anticipation at slip to take a screamer of a catch. The two nations will now take each other on in a two test series.

NFL

The sixth week of the NFL has just wrapped up, with defending champions the Seattle Seahawks loosing emphatically at home to the Dallas Cowboys. The New England Patriots offense is continuing to go from strength to strength, with Tom Brady leading from the front throwing four touchdown passes and completing his 60th career 300-yard game. The Patriots defence also stood up, forcing three turnovers leading to 13 points in the second quarter. In other news the Philadelphia Eagles won at home against the New York Giants 27-0 in an absolute blowout. The Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions are both now 5-1 in the NFC. In the AFC the San Diego Chargers are also 5-1, closely followed by the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots, both sitting at 4-2.

Formula One

Lewis Hamilton has cemented his stranglehold on the Formula One championship, winning his ninth race of the season, and fourth in a row at the inaugural Sochi Grand Prix in Russia. Australian Daniel Ricciardo finished seventh, remaining third in the driver’s championship.

Bathurst 1000

Youngster Chaz Mostert, and co-driver Paul Morris have driven an incredible Bathurst 1000 race, taking the lead for the first time on the last lap as Jamie Whincup ran out of fuel, to clinch victory in Australia’s biggest motor race, starting from last place on the grid. After an early crash on turn two, the pair battled through an aggressive pack, which saw many crashes and race penalties handed out. During the 1000 km of racing, there were 10 safety car interjections and a full hour’s stoppage to repair damaged tarmac at turn two. The big break came after 61 laps of racing, giving teams time to freshen their vehicles. The turn in question was the breaking point for a number of cars and their drivers, but the real controversy surrounded the one hour stoppage to repair the road, during which crews were allowed to work on the cars, something many involved in the racing industry didn’t agree with.

A-League

Melbourne City and Spain international, David Villa, needed just 15 minutes in his debut for the rebranded club to score against Sydney FC. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, but showed just how much of an impact the star will make in his sting in the A-league before he joins his new team, New York City. Meanwhile Asian Champions finalists Western Sydney Wanderers were delivered a rude wake-up call from Melbourne Victory going down 4-1. They will contest for the crown of Asia with the second leg of the final to be played in Saudi Arabia against Al-Hilal. There has been much drama in the lead up, with concerns over whether female, Jewish or homosexual fans of the Wanderers will be allowed entry to the game, or even granted visas to the strictly Muslim nation due to the State’s laws.