The campaign weeks for the upcoming PARSA election have begun. Nominations for candidature closed on Friday, 10 August.

Uncontested positions have been elected unopposed as per the rules of the recently revised constitution. Positions for which no nominations were received have been declared as casual vacancies. Only four casual vacancies have been declared – for the position of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Officer as well as three directors for the board.

Candidates have been announced under three different tickets: ‘Vision’, ‘Empower’ and ‘ARAGMA’. A few independent candidates have been announced as well.

Five independent candidates have been elected to the board of directors. Three casual vacancies remain for the board. The elected members of the board are as follows:

Alyssa Shaw

Chris Wilson

Binota

Julian Windup

Leonard

The list of elected officers is as follows:

Andre from Vision – College of Asia & the Pacific Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Yingnan Shi from Vision – College of Business & Economics Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Jessica Hargreaves from Empower – College of Science Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Andrew Almonte from Vision – College of Science Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Kate Falconer from Vision – College of Law Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Rebecca Lawrence from Empower  – College of Health & Medicine Officer (Higher Degree by Research

Conrad Maclean from Empower  – College of Arts & Social Science Officer (Coursework)

Katie Cox from Vision – College of Arts & Social Science Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

‘Vision’ claims to be guided by the values of “community spirit, proactive leadership, accountability and fairness, advocacy, accessibility and support”. Their proposed policies have several initiatives for accommodation, community building, student employment, scholarships, PARSA’s administration, creating a safer campus, support for parents studying at the University, creating inclusive communities, health and wellbeing, academic support and engagement with members.

Vision’s nominations are as follows:

Zyl Hovenga-Wauchope for President and Postgraduate Student Member of the Council

Sahar Latheef for Vice President

Rittwick Visen for Coursework Officer

Rahul Ravi for Disabilities Officer

Zoe Tulip for Education Officer

Lilu Moala for Environment Officer

Bernard Cielo II for Equity Officer

Heba Al Adawy for Higher Degree by Research Officer

Yuan Chai for International Student Officer

Ruixin (Alex) Yang for Queer Officer

Veli Buti for Social Officer

Felippa (Pippa) Amanta for Women’s Officer

Milena Soares for College of Asia & the Pacific Officer (Coursework)

Roc Chen for College of Engineering & Computer Science Officer (Coursework)

Ankita Gagrani for College of Engineering & Computer Science Officer (Higher Degree by Research)

Kitiphume Thammasiraphop for College of Health & Medicine Officer (Coursework)

Chris Skoglund for College of Law Officer (Coursework)

‘Empower’ wants to “fight for an inclusive and more supportive community”. Empower’s policies include initiatives for mental health and physical wellbeing, sexual harassment, creating a community, the environment, consulting and communication as well as advocacy for education, international students, equity, family and parents, accommodation and LGBTIQQA+ issues.

Empower’s nominations are as follows:

Michel Watson for President

Stephan Modest for Vice President and Postgraduate Member of the Student Council

Sita Naik for Coursework Officer

Peter Park for Disabilities Officer

Crystal Holt for Environment Officer

Rajiv Raghavendra for Equity Officer

Mita for Higher Degree by Research Officer

Dhruv Haria for International Student Officer

Ian Smith for Queer Officer

Yamila Cajal for Social Officer

Yumna for Women’s Officer

Maeve Rolland for College of Asia & the Pacific Officer (Coursework)

Yaowen for College of Business & Economics Officer (Coursework)

Puneet Garg for College of Engineering & Computer Science (Higher Degree by Research)

Sid Pethe for College of Engineering & Computer Science (Coursework)

Emily Sisson for College of Health & Medicine (Coursework)

Rebecca Lawrence for College of Health & Medicine (Higher Degree by Research)

Shubhank’s nomination for Social Officer is the only announced nomination under the ARAGMA ticket.

The list of independent nominated candidates are as follows:

Alireza for Postgraduate Student Member of the Council

Chris Wilson for Postgraduate Student Member of the Council

Yantong for Education Officer

Rabbia for Women’s Officer

Alireza for International Student Officer

Charles Xu for International Student Officer

Contested positions will be determined by a ballot of members. Online polls for the election will be conducted from 27 to 30 August.

While canvassing for votes, all candidates have to follow rules defined by the PARSA constitution. Actions such as paying for social media advertising or offering food or money in exchange for votes are electoral offences. A team of probity officers will assist the Returning Officer to investigate any alleged breach of code of conduct. Students can also report any such action through a form that will be available on PARSA’s election website.