Three wombats: one red, one blue and one purple
Editor's Blog

Join Woroni's Print/Online Content Team in Semester 2 2018!

Woroni is looking for Content Sub-Editors to become part of our passionate print team at ANU Student Media in Semester Two 2018. These positions include 12 individual Sub-Editors for each section of the paper and two Senior Content Sub-Editors to help across all sections. Submit your application below!

The role of a Content Sub-Editor will be:

• To source, edit and copy-edit content for the newspaper and online, as well as respond to relevant articles sent to write@woroni.com.au.
  • Oversee a specific portfolio, which corresponds to a section of the newspaper.
  • Act as an essential liaison between potential contributors and the Content Editor.
  • Work with the Content and Art Editors to decide on a defining vision for their portfolio – this applies to content and aesthetics.

Sub-Editors must be able to adhere to strict deadlines and to work as part of a large team, including other Content Sub-Editors, Senior Content Sub-Editors and the Content Editor. They will be expected to attend  fortnightly meetings – these will most likely be held at 5:30pm on Wednesdays – and a short training session at the beginning of the semester.

As a Sub-Editor you will source between three and eight articles per print cycle (depending on your section), which will be published in print and/or online. Sub-Editors need to have a clear understanding of spelling, grammar and structure in writing. Previous experience in publishing, editing or writing is an advantage, but by no means necessary. Ideal candidates will be approachable, a team player, a good planner and a critical thinker. Good communication skills are also essential as fluid communication with contributors and other members of the content team are a must.

Sub-Editors can expect to receive an honorarium based on their commitment to the role at the end of Semester.

Woroni is also looking for two Senior Content Sub-editors to join the Semester Two team.

The role of a Senior Content Sub-Editor will be:

• Working with the Content Editor and Sub-Editors to plan and manage Woroni’s non-news written content
  • Editing and copy-editing articles sourced by the Content Sub-editor team across the twelve print editions and online.

They will need to be available for compulsory fortnightly Print Team Meetings, and to attend a Sub-Editor training session prior to the commencement of Semester 2. Senior Sub-Editors will be expected to spend about 10 hours per week editing articles, meeting/corresponding with the Content Editor and sourcing limited articles as-needed.

Each Senior Sub-Editor must generally edit between 10 and 20 articles per print cycle, to be published in print and online. They will not be required to source regular content for the paper, but may be called upon to help source additional content for various sections if needed, and should be comfortable doing so.

You will need to have a clear understanding of spelling, grammar and structure in writing. Previous experience in publishing, editing or writing is an advantage, but by no means necessary. A hardcopy of the Woroni Style Guide will be given to all Content Sub-Editors and will be readily available on the Woroni website for support. Good communication skills are also essential as fluid communication with contributors and other members of the Content team are a must.

Senior Sub-Editors can expect to receive an honoraria based on their commitment to the role at the end of Semester Two.

Applications will close at 11:59pm on Friday 29th June.

A short online editing test will take place on Saturday 30th June in the evening.

Interviews will be conducted on Sunday 1st July or at earliest available time.

Descriptions of portfolios that require Sub-Editors are listed below. Applicants will be asked which sections they would be interested in Sub-Editing and why, but should note that they are not guaranteed one of these portfolios.

COMMENT

Woroni is a platform for all students to voice their ideas and opinions, and this is particularly true of our Comment section. The Comment Sub-Editor should source articles that reflect the diverse opinions of ANU students. A discerning eye is required to distinguish between the offensive and the insightful. Articles should be engaging and relevant to the student body.

INTERNATIONAL

The International Sub-Editor should source content about everything beyond Australia’s borders, and how it relates to students at the ANU. It is the place to discuss foreign affairs, share travel stories and for international students to share their unique experiences.

MULTILINGUAL

Woroni’s Multilingual section is an exciting platform for discourse about culture and language. The Multilingual Sub-Editor doesn’t need to be able to speak multiple languages but does need a plan for how they will source and edit approximately three pieces per fortnight in languages other than English plus translations. This role will include liaising with and developing relationships with both contributors and translators.

FEATURES

Contributions sourced by the Features Sub-Editor should explore, analyse and experiment with the theme of each print edition. Articles are usually 500-700 words, though the Features Sub-Editor is free to source contributions of any style and length. Some past themes include ‘Food for Thought’, ‘Iconic’ and ‘Fear’.

CREATIVE

The Creative Writing Sub-Editor will be asked to source two to three creative pieces per edition, including poetry and prose. They will also play a huge role in sourcing content for the Annual Creative Magazine to be published towards the end of semester two. The Creative Writing Sub-Editor should have a love of literature and poetry, competency for editing a broad range of creative works and a keen interest in helping contributors to polish their content, which is often personal and deeply passionate.

ARTS

The Arts Sub-Editor will source content about culture and the arts – in Canberra, Australia and abroad – and excited to start critical conversations about it. They will be expected to source around three articles per edition that link these two areas to ANU students and explore issues related to them.

REVIEWS

As well as attending events and writing reviews themselves, the Reviews Sub-Editor must coordinate the Review Team and organise free tickets and media passes to exhibitions, performances, talks, gigs, shows, film screenings and festivals, as well as free tastings at restaurants. To assist with this, the Reviews Sub-Editor will have a separate email account and email template. They should help maintain strong relationships with Woroni’s contacts in the Canberra’s culture scene.

UNI LIFE

The Uni Life Sub-Editor should source articles relating to the campus experience: sex, love, friendship, health, jobs, trends, sport, and exciting student innovation occurring at ANU. They should have their finger on the pulse of university living and look to deliver fresh and creative content about real issues.

ENVIRONMENT

The Environment Sub-Editor should be passionate about the environment – connections with on-campus groups such as the Environmental Collective would be extremely beneficial for this role. There is enormous potential to push the boundaries and explore the very meaning of ‘environment’ within this section, so a willingness to get creative is an essential attribute.

SCIENCE

Science students make up a huge percentage of ANU’s student body, and Woroni’s content should reflect this. The Science Sub-Editor would ideally be a part of the ANU science community and be willing to expand their networks – especially to the post-graduate cohort. Pieces should reflect news, theories and developments across all scientific fields.

BUSINESS & ECONOMICS

The Business & Economics Sub-Editor should be passionate about the topic and willing to source topical and theory-dense content that is interesting and relevant to ANU students – think Freakonomics.

SATIRE

When employed well, satire and humour can be used to grapple with reality, punch up at higher powers and engage readers with challenging ideas. The Satire Sub-Editor should source content that brings a satirical edge to current issues and events – light-hearted content that is comical and relevant to the student body.

Woroni is committed to diversity in hiring. It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the ANU community so that we can better tell stories about everyone at the ANU. As such, Woroni welcomes applications from students that are from a range of diverse backgrounds and identities. If you identify with a diverse background, feel free to let us know in your application.

Content Sub-Editor Applications Semester Two

Join our Content Team in 2018! Woroni is looking for Content Sub-Editors to become part of our passionate print team at ANU Student Media in 2018.

Step 1 of 2

50%