Interview: Big Names. On Campus. On O-Week.

Woroni features Sub-Editor Vincent Chaing talked to ANUSA President Ben Gill, PARSA President Ben Niles, ANUSA’s Social Officer Jack Gaudie and 2014 ANUSA Education Officer Laura Wey about some of their O-Week memories…

1.     What are you looking forward to most for O-Week?

Ben Gill: It will be great to see all the hard work that Dan, Shallan, Michael, Jack and James have put in over the last few months pay off. I’m also really excited to see how we can capitalise on the momentum from O-Week and carry that energy into improving the student experience at ANU.

Jack Gaudie: I can’t wait for the friday night line up – it’s going to be as big as ever it’s always an amazing way to end the first week!

Ben Niles: For the first time we’re having PARSA Big Day (Saturday 21st February) – it keeps the excitement going (but mostly because not all students have arrived until Week 1). This year’s Big Day theme is Carnival which will be an all day extravaganza including rides, food, a petting zoo and live music

Laura Wey: For the first O-Week in 2 years I won’t have to BBQ at the ANUSA tent everyday so won’t smell like meat!

2.    What is your favourite O-Week memory from the past?

Ben Gill: I’d have to say Holi.

Jack Gaudie: I remember going to Mr ANU and seeing two guys do a joint talent. Topless, they poured milk over each other in various positions. Such a waste of good milk, so very confusing to this day… We’ll be running Mr ANU later in the term, keep an eye out for the classic event.

Ben Niles: Toga Night (doesn’t matter what year) – who doesn’t like the fact a day exists in Canberra where Lincraft lines are out the door to buy “toga length” pieces of fabric, you can get into any club in basically a bed sheet, the biggest dance party of the year happens not in Moose but the lawns of Burgmann and those foolish enough to brave the Acad’s foam party are left sticky and soaked as they wait in line like the rest of us for our 2am Maccas. Best.

Laura Wey:  It was really awesome to hear Vice-Chancellor Ian Young talk about Brian Schmidt at his welcome to new students. Did you know Brian won a Nobel Prize and is at ANU?

3.  What would be your #1 tip for new ANU students?

Ben Gill: Take care of yourself. It is a huge week and you do not need to go to everything. University is about endurance.

Jack Gaudie: Get involved, come to events, meet people and ask questions – we’ve all been first years in the past and I’m pretty much still as lost as ever… Ask questions and get involved!

Ben Niles: O-week is the easiest time in the whole year to get involved with the university. Between the Uni, Halls & Colleges, PARSA and ANUSA there is something for everyone during O-week. Whether that’s a quiet meet and greet, a dress up party or a tour of the university there are so many different things that students can experience. I’m cheating – I have three tips: #1 join at least one club/society #2 don’t be afraid to make new friends #3 there are free condoms in the student space next to Commonwealth Bank (nuf said)

Laura Wey: First years should do all the courses for their entire degree this year so that they don’t have to pay deregulated fees from 2016. LOL