IB Fast Approaching

We are now less than three weeks away from IB and everything is starting to heat up. Teams are regularly punching out marathon-length training runs through the forest, head torches and compasses are getting a workout, and blisters are being dealt with as best as possible.

From an organizational point of view the course is set, the buses are booked and the volunteers are pouring in (though we always need more if you are interested). The endpoint is looking like it will be an absolute ball and the after party will be even better.

It’s right now we reach the point that many call the “quiet before the storm.” Considering this, I thought it might be nice to catch up with someone who, in some ways, crosses the divide between these two camps. Stephanie Lum is an IB coach and competitor, with a wealth of experience in both running and coaching this legendary event. I asked her to tell us a bit about her IB history, why she got involved, and why she is so masochistic as to keep coming back for more.

I’m Steph, coach for Fenner IB 2014! This will be my second year as coach and third year running. I got involved in my second year, running in Div 7i in 2012, the year of IB’s 50th anniversary and the last year with Div 7i. I had heard about IB the year before but thought it was beyond me at the time and something only crazy people did. I played a bit of sport but I was never a runner. I had never run more than 4km at once and even that was an effort. A year at university however changed my benchmark for what should be considered ridiculous, so heading into 2012 I thought I would give it a go. I got training early and was amazed at how quickly myself and others who had just started preparing for IB could build up their distances. While the 2012 run was a bit crazy for most, thankfully Div 7i was fairly straightforward even if it was longer than expected, and I was part of the minority of teams that managed to finish. Last year I helped coach the Fenner team, continued to increase my distances, and ran in Div 2.

“I had such a fun time on both my previous IB runs. There’s something really nice about running with three other people, working out problems together and running in the stillness of the night… even if you’re not entirely sure you’re going the right way. While I have done IB two times before, there are always different challenges and the chance to push yourself further. That’s why this year I’m super excited to be coaching and running again, and I encourage absolutely everyone to get involved and experience one of the best sports events you’ll ever be a part of!”

Inward Bound 2014 promises to be the biggest IB in living memory as it returns to its roots with ADFA returning to the competition. For those that don’t know IB began as a competition between ANU colleges and ADFA as a way of channeling the cross-town rivalry into a slightly less destructive activity. It is great to have the ADFA men and women back this year and we wish them luck, we are pretty sure they will need it!

See you all at #IB14 endpoint!