Embracing the GAY CLICHÉ - A look into Canberra’s newest club night

After announcing her new club night GAY CLICHÉ, Woroni catches up with local promoter/DJ Megan Bones to talk music, Canberra and Queer* culture.

You’ve been heavily involved with the local club scene for a minute now, and hosted some awesome nights. What have been the highlights for you so far?

I was lucky enough to be a part of the Trinity Bar family, both as a DJ and an event manager. The calibre of artists that have played at Trinity Bar are insane – I was lucky enough to be a part of some incredible shows including Flight Facilities, Flume, Ta-ku and Ryan Hemsworth. I’ll never forget my time with the venue, I had some of the best nights of my life there.

What inspired you to start Gay Cliché, and what should we expect?

I think the whole Canberra nightlife scene has diversified a lot in the last year or so. Young LGBTI people want more options for queer events; we’re looking to cater to those with a different music taste to what’s already on offer, as well as creating a bit more of a relaxed vibe.

For every club night we put on, 50% of all our profits will be donated to different local charities. For us, the aim of this project was never to make money off the queer community, but to create a safe, all-inclusive space for people to have a good time and give something back to our city.

In the first post to the page, you mention your night will not tolerate “homophobia, transphobia, sexism, racism, or general dick head behaviour”. Is this a problem in Canberra’s current club scene?

Not overtly, but I think that under the surface it is still an issue. Although the level of acceptance of the LGBTI population in Canberra is definitely on the up, there are still steps that need to be taken. I don’t know many young gay couples that would feel comfortable being overly affectionate with their partners in most of the Canberra nightclubs without expecting some kind of commentary about it.

There’s a real problem with the culture in bars and nightclubs, too many people have been desensitised to the listed issues. Alcohol is being used as an excuse for behaviour and actions that most people wouldn’t dream of doing in their normal everyday lives. I’d rather have an empty room than tolerate those kinds of attitudes at a Gay Cliché event.

Favourite queer dance anthem?

– Ah, I don’t really know what I’d class as a gay anthem, but I particularly enjoy Scissor Sisters -Lets Have A Kiki

Gay Cliche will be having a launch party on the 10th October. Woroni will definitely be attending.