2019 General Secretary Lachy Day has launched his ANUSA presidential campaign on the ticket ‘New Leaf for ANUSA’. ‘New Leaf’ is this year’s first ticket fielding candidates for all executive positions. 

Day outlined that ‘New Leaf’s’ campaign is focused on ensuring that “ANUSA is decentralised, consultative and has a long term vision for the future.”

The ticket has three core policy points. The first is “to develop a 5 year strategic plan for ANUSA in consultation with undergraduate students.” This plan aims to ensure that “the ANU community know(s) where their Student’s Association is going.” The project will track its success through the establishment of Executive and Association KPIs. 

‘New Leaf’s’ second policy focuses on replacing the centralised power currently placed in the ANUSA President and Vice-President. The ticket aims to replace the current system with a “decentralised system of information sharing and decision-making.” It is a system which seeks to ensure that “the SRC can actually hold the executive to account and make decisions as a group.”

Lastly, ‘New Leaf’ commits to “creating a new base minimum standard for how much consultation is needed before ANUSA reps can claim to be representing students.” This policy aims to ensure that ANUSA “will always have that mandate when we demand action from the university.”

When asked how ‘New Leaf’ differentiates itself from other ANUSA tickets, Day highlighted that ‘New Leaf’ is “politically independent and proud of it.” He further asserted that “ANUSA should be about students, not what party you’re a member of.” 

Day further explained that ‘New Leaf’ has experience superior to that of its rivals. Emphasising that ‘New Leaf’ “objectively know how the Association works and how best to go about changing it.” 

Day broke tradition when he soft-launched his ticket in advance of this semester, opening up an expression of interest (EOI) form. 70 per cent of ‘New Leaf’s’ candidates came from these EOIs. This is a point of difference which Day believes is more successful and representative than the shoulder-tapping practices that have defined past elections. 

‘New Leaf’s’ full ticket is as follows:

President + ANU Council Undergraduate Member + NUS Delegate Lachy Day
Vice-President Annabelle Nshuti
Education Officer + NUS Delegate Skanda Panditharatne
General Secretary + NUS Delegate Taylor Heslington
Treasurer Maddy Wang
Social Officer Sophie Jagger
General Representative Ben Wicks
General Representative + NUS Delegate Jason Pover
General Representative + NUS Delegate Aryanne Caminschi
General Representative Oscar Kaspi-Crutchett
General Representative Kate Evans
General Representative Ishita Kapoor
General Representative Ezabell Kong
General Representative Ben Theakston
College of Arts and Social Sciences Representative Sam Lee
College of Business and Economics Representative David Harvey
College of Engineering and Computer Science Representative Sophie Burgess
Combined Colleges of Science, Medicine and Health Representative Yasmin Potts
College of Law Representative Georgina Price