The ANU Students’ Association (ANUSA) has announced the launch of START, a small business startup program for ANU undergraduates. In August, five teams of students will start a new Canberra business.

START participants will receive a comprehensive training program, mentoring with successful Canberra businesspeople, opportunities to collaborate with other participants, and a business grant of up to $2,500.

START is a unique incubator program. START will help students to develop businesses than can run alongside their university studies. START co-founder and 3rd year science/law student Alex Ferguson believes “small business is a compelling alternative to traditional student jobs in retail and hospitality, promising far greater flexibility and impressive real-world experience”.

Participants will have the opportunity to learn about marketing, tax, bookkeeping, payroll, sales, customer service and strategy. According to ANUSA Treasurer Nick Barry, “there are vast libraries of information for prospective business owners online, but students have told us that these are frustrating to navigate and difficult to understand.” He also notes that “it takes a lot of confidence, time and preparation to start a small business, so appropriate support is a vital ingredient for success”.

START is funded by ANUSA. ANUSA is the peak undergraduate representative body at the Australian National University, providing advocacy and support services as well as a comprehensive program of co-curricular activities.

The program’s application process requires a one page business plan followed by a 10 minute ‘pitch’ to a panel. Applications open on Sunday 13 July and close on Sunday 27 July, and can be submitted via the START website.

For more info, visit: start.anusa.com.au

Inspired by ANUSA START, Woroni will be publishing a series of articles showcasing existing businesses and start-ups initiated by ANU students and alumni.

Our aim is to encourage students to pursue business start-up ideas that are innovative and are driven by a social purpose.

In this edition, Woroni has published an article from Alek Sigley, Director of Tongil Tours – a tour company that aims to promote deeper understanding and engagement of the hermit country that is North Korea (see Page 18).

Keep an eye out for our next edition, Edition 9, for a piece on Dr. Sam Prince, ANU Medicine Alumni and founder of Zambrero Fresh Mex Grill!