ANU has revealed that they will repeal the rules that require residential halls to have advisory committees, after Woroni reported that the university was legally required to implement them in ANU-owned colleges.

Addressing questions as to why these committees had not been created in the first place, a spokesperson for ANU cited “informal changes” that had moved the operation of residential halls closer in line with the policies and regulations of the university.

According to the statement, the Halls of Residence Rules 2005 will be repealed at some point this year, through the ANU Council.

The advisory committee would have acted as a regulatory body and link between hall administration and the university administration. It would advise the head of the relevant hall on matters of policy as well as the rights, privileges and obligations the hall has in relation to its residents. Between five and eight members would make up the body, up to four of whom can be elected residents of the relevant hall.

The advisory committee could also ask to be supplied with information it considers relevant so as to properly provide advice, a power that could potentially aid in establishing transparency within the administration. This power may, for instance, be used to demand the university release statistics and other documents relating to college sexual assault and harassment.

ANU’s full statement can be viewed below.

“The Halls of Residence at ANU (including Colleges and Lodges) have a firm commitment to the ANU students and the development of communities that support the well-being and academic development of our residents.

As a result of previous reviews, informal changes were made to the operation of residential halls to better align with University policies and regulations as well as providing the best possible service for our students. Initiatives were developed that ensured the best possible collaboration with students and academic staff such as the Residents Committee and Hall Fellows.

These new initiatives and aligning the hall operation with university policies and regulations, meant that the Hall of Residence Rules were not as relevant as they once were.

ANU is currently in the process of repealing the Hall of Residence Rules through Council since more effective systems are in place. This will be occurring this year.”