University of Canberra students are more employable than ANU students, although both universities struggle to provide a positive student experience, according to new data from the federal government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) report.

The report provides information for students deciding where to study, and holds universities accountable for their results, spurring them on to improve programs.

ANU undergraduates sat below the national average for employment, with 87.4 per cent finding work within the first four months after graduation, compared to the Australian average of 88.6 per cent. Over 89 per cent of University of Canberra undergraduates found employment in the same time.

Postgraduate students found full-time employment in more than 85 per cent of cases at both universities. Over 90 per cent were employed in any kind of work.

ANU graduates earned a median wage of $58,800, and University of Canberra students took home $58,000, compared to the national median starting salary of $56,000.

Postgraduates from the ANU earned $75,000 while University of Canberra students earned $71,200. These figures were both below the national median of $80,000.

ANU students also rated the university’s teaching practices poorly, with approximately 65 per cent of students saying they had experienced good teaching practices compared to 68 per cent nationwide. University of Canberra students recorded 70.3 per cent.

Both ACT universities trailed the 64.2 per cent national average in terms of positive learning experience. ANU undergraduates recorded a positive experience only 60 per cent of the time, leading University of Canberra students who sat on 55.1 per cent.

On the other hand, more than 29 per cent of ANU students went on to pursue further study after completing their undergraduate degree, above the national average of 21.6 per cent. Only 17 per cent of University of Canberra students undertook further study.

The Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Professor Marnie Hughes-Warrington, pointed out the positives in the university’s official statement, referring to 2016’s Global Employability University Ranking, as well as the QILT data.

‘Our graduates are consistently rated Australia’s most employable in the world. They are also the future of Australian research, with some 20 percent going on to further full time study and eight percent to further part-time study,’ she said.

She also mentioned the Union Court redevelopment, and the university’s new Academic Plan.

‘These initiatives will continue to enhance our already strong culture of excellence at ANU.’