ANUSA General Secretary and ANU Union Chair, Megan Lane, has announced today that she will be resigning from her executive position on the ANU Students’ Association (ANUSA).

“While I have enjoyed my time as General Secretary, my impacting workload across my studies, work and commitments to other organisations, mean that I am unable to give the time and effort required to ANUSA to the standard I expect from myself,” said Lane.

When asked for comment on Lane’s resignation, ANUSA President Ben Gill said, “the Association wishes Megan all the best in whatever she chooses for the future.”

Lane’s resignation will be effective from early July 2015, with an exact date to be confirmed closer to the time.

“This will allow me to complete an effective handover after exams and to ensure that the organisation has time to transition smoothly,” said Lane.

According to the ANUSA Constitution, once Lane vacates her General Secretary position in July, a Student Representative Council (SRC) meeting will be held, at which any ordinary member of the Association may nominate to fill the vacancy. The SRC must then elect one of these nominees to fill the position.

“I would encourage students who have a passion for progressive advocacy to consider running for ANUSA General Secretary. While I have no preferred replacement at present, I may choose to endorse a candidate at a later time,” said Lane.

Lane is expected to verbally announce her resignation at tonight’s SRC meeting during her General Secretary report.

The motion that “ANUSA not re-accredit to NUS in 2015” will also be moved again in tonight’s meeting.

Lane has been a fierce supporter of ANUSA re-accrediting with the National Union of Students, and says that her resignation is not likely to derail any attempts to re-accredit for 2015.

“There are a number of strong advocates currently on the SRC who I intend to work with in continuing to lobby ANUSA in favour of re-accrediting in a private capacity,” said Lane.

Lane will not be resigning from her position as ANU Union Chair.